new cpu on old motherboard

robina_80

ive got socket a motherboard but i want to upgrade my processor to 2000xp+ to 3200xp+ can i do dis the motherbaord website says it can only go up to 2800xp+ it can only support fsb 266 but if i get the 3200xp+ it can support 400 fsb is dat correct

4W4K3

VIP Member
kof2000 said:
if ur motherboard can't support 400fsb it wont run at 400 fsb.

well it would be pointless all the same, but couldn't you jsut downclock the FSB on that chip and up the multi? or would the mobo just not accept it no matter what?

kof2000

technically i guess u could but why go through all the trouble getting lower than standard performance of the cpu when you just invest a little more on a new mb.

4W4K3

VIP Member
kof2000 said:
technically i guess u could but why go through all the trouble getting lower than standard performance of the cpu when you just invest a little more on a new mb.

yah exactly, thats why i said it would be kinda pointless.

robina_80

so even if i get new cpu which can support fsb 400 my mobo cant support it!!! it shud the dimm slots r same 3 ddr 184pin

4W4K3

VIP Member
robina_80 said:
so even if i get new cpu which can support fsb 400 my mobo cant support it!!! it shud the dimm slots r same 3 ddr 184pin

DIMM slots has nothing to do with FSB. lots fo boards support 3*DIMM...some more, some less.

robina_80

i know exactly my point every mobo has dimm slots ddr 184pin y shudnt it work in theory im putting a higher cpu in socket a which is increasing the fsb den i can get new memory 4 it the memory it wants instead of crummy memmory ive got ive installed new bios and chipset drivers 4 mt mobo

4W4K3

VIP Member
robina_80 said:
i know exactly my point every mobo has dimm slots ddr 184pin y shudnt it work in theory im putting a higher cpu in socket a which is increasing the fsb den i can get new memory 4 it the memory it wants instead of crummy memmory ive got ive installed new bios and chipset drivers 4 mt mobo

whats the max DDR speed it supports. if its PC-2700 or lower...buying a new CPU wont matter that much even if it did work, cuz the ram would slow it down. you said it wasnt overclocking friendly i believe...so thats not much of an option either.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i know exactly my point every mobo has dimm slots ddr 184pin y shudnt it work in theory im putting a higher cpu in socket a which is increasing the fsb den I can get new memory 4 it the memory it wants instead of crummy memmory ive got ive installed new bios and chipset drivers 4 mt mobo
Only applies to Athlon64 processors with the builtin mem controller (kind of too)

:)