New CPU or Video card?

klinkacheck

I currently have an Intel e4400 and and a MSI 8600GTS running on a MSI P6N 650i motherboard and I am wanting to upgrade either the CPU of video card and I was wondering what would better to upgrade and to what? Any input is helpful, Thanks

Interested

Well, if you feel that u want more speed, then get a better cpu. If you want more gaming power, get a better video card.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Video card. The CPU is fairly good and should overclock well, but I've heard that 8600s are terrible pieces of *I'm not allowed to say the word*. As a matter of fact I've never heard anything good about those GFX cards.

Interested

i dont get why people think 8600GT suck. You should read on, as i have read many great reviews of 8600's, especially GTS. But, right now they best bang for your buck is the 9600GT. (especially in SLI mode)

ANNR

YES! The 9600GT is almost as good as a 8800GT without OC'ing it!

Nope. the 9600GT is on pare with the 8800GS but not as powerfully as the 8800GT.

If you don't game much than what you have is good enough. new cpu will not help you much since your current is fairly fast. Unless your a benchmarker than get the fastest CPU you can find.

Seeing how fast the price are dropping and how desperately the video card companies are offering rebates, If I where you I will just wait it out and buy a video card when the price is right. I saw a 9600GT for just under 120USD on newegg the other day after rebate.

EDIT: just to give you couple links to good deals.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127325
Here is another one. The brand is not very well known in the US but it is a good video card company. It was called GainWard. The card is not pretty but if you take the cooler of other video cards, they look the same. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Video+Cards-_-Palit+Multimedia+Inc-_-14261002

Last edited:

reddevil6

yes the 9600GT is on par with the 8800GS at low resolutions but at high resolutions the 9600GT is better.

daisymtc

depends what you are doing with your PC.
If you are gaming, 9600GT / 8800GT with a aftermarket cpu fan for overclocking.

daisymtc

whats all this rebate stuff about, im from UK so dont know wat its about

Buying the hardware from internet. Then send in a form to claim back some money.
You can ignore the rebate stuff they talking about. And ignore 8800GS, as in UK, it cost £93:eek:, while the cheapest 9600GT is just £102

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Buying the hardware from internet. Then send in a form to claim back some money.
You can ignore the rebate stuff they talking about. And ignore 8800GS, as in UK, it cost £93:eek:, while the cheapest 9600GT is just £102

Have you checked other sites? They should be a bit lower priced...