New CPU

ScOuT

VIP Member
I will always recommend a Quad core over a Dual core...why not get a quad? The Dual cores are higher clock speeds but Quads are the way to go.

Here is a techzine article I wrote...check it out.
http://www.techzine.com/2009/01/22/will-games-really-use-all-4-cores/

That's even an older article...Try playing Empire: Total War or GTA IV with a dual core:) It almost maxes all 4 cores of mine when I am playing.

I think you will thank yourself later for choosing a Quad;)

Turnitdown

I will always recommend a Quad core over a Dual core...why not get a quad? The Dual cores are higher clock speeds but Quads are the way to go.

Here is a techzine article I wrote...check it out.
http://www.techzine.com/2009/01/22/will-games-really-use-all-4-cores/

That's even an older article...Try playing Empire: Total War or GTA IV with a dual core:) It almost maxes all 4 cores of mine when I am playing.

I think you will thank yourself later for choosing a Quad;)
Thanks for the speedy reply.
So even with no OC'ing you still think i should go Quad?
If so, which Quad should i go for?

ScOuT

VIP Member
Even with no overclocking I would recommend a Quad.

The Q6600 is already an Intel Legend...If that is in your price range that would be a good one.

The Intel Q9400 has dropped in price in many stores around the world. That would be another good choice.

I have heard some really good things about the Intel Q8000 series also.

Really, any Quad would be fine. You'll be very pleased with the performance of them all.

Turnitdown

At the bottom it says Heatsink: *Big Red X*

Overall what do you think im better off getting?
I dont think ill be doing much gaming at all.
So i want to buy a CPU purely for best performance from Google Chrome, Photoshop & Media Streaming/Serving. Only gaming ill be doing is Sims 3 but i know you dont need a super computer for that xD.

Do i go for the Extra cores with the Q8400, Or the higher clock with the E8400?
I really cant decide.
What would you go for?

2048Megabytes

The Q8400 processor whoops the overpriced E8400 in processing power. If you want a system that you won't have to upgrade the processor on for a while go with the Core 2 Quad Q8400. The higher clock speed of the E8400 doesn't mean much when you have four processors on one chip with the Q8400. You won't regret buying a Q8400 processor.

Turnitdown

The Q8400 processor whoops the overpriced E8400 in processing power. If you want a system that you won't have to upgrade the processor on for a while go with the Core 2 Quad Q8400. The higher clock speed of the E8400 doesn't mean much when you have four processors on one chip with the Q8400. You won't regret buying a Q8400 processor.

Im going to see if i can get any more cash together to get the Q9550 but if i cant im sure ill be more than happy with the Q8400 :)

ScOuT

VIP Member
Im going to see if i can get any more cash together to get the Q9550 but if i cant im sure ill be more than happy with the Q8400 :)

You may want to save the cash and just get the Q8400. You will not see a huge improvement between the two. The Q8400 will do everything you need it to;)

Maybe put the extra cash somewhere else in the system.

Turnitdown

You may want to save the cash and just get the Q8400. You will not see a huge improvement between the two. The Q8400 will do everything you need it to;)

Maybe put the extra cash somewhere else in the system.

Yeah as i said. Ill see how much i can get the Q9550 for, If i get it anywhere near £170 then ill go with that. If not, Ill be happy with the Q8400 and put the extra money towards a new gfx card maybe.

Thanks for all your help!