New Desktop Setup - Please comment!

Lionsden

I've had the same crappy computer for the last 5 years. Now I've decided it's time to spend around AU$2,000 and build a high quality PC.

Below are the parts I've selected. I don't know that much about computers and I won't be overclocking or anything like that. I will use it for gaming (which by building a PC with some of the latest gear I'm hoping will last me for another 5 years and I won't have to upgrade) as well as media (blu-rays, dvds, music etc) & Microsoft Office.

Component Specification
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Processor Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz 8MB Quad Core
Memory Corsair 6GB Triple DDR3 1600
SSD OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD 285/275 R/W/MB
HDD WD Caviar Black 1.0TB 7200/64MB/SATA3
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX470 1280MB DDR5
Power Supply Corsair 750W TX-750 ATX
Case CoolerMaster HAF RC-922M Tower Case
Drive 1 LG or Samsung Blu-Ray Combo
Sound Card Creative X-FI Xtreme Gamer 24-bit
Speakers Logitech X-230 2.1 Speakers & Subwoofer
Cooling CoolerMaster V8 Cooler ALL
Windows OS MS Windows 7 Home Premium OEM/64BIT

Can anyone answer the following questions:

- Are all these components compatible?
- Am I missing anything?
- Do I need a CoolerMaster V8 Cooler (or any cooler) for the i7 950? (I'm not going to be OC)?
- Any comments on any of the components? i.e. better quality for same cost etc.

Cheers

jevery

Looks like you've got it pretty well covered - Got the SSD, the Blu-Ray, the sound card. Might consider a modular PSU for cable management since budget doesn't seem to be a big issue. If you really won't be overclocking you can get by with the stock cooler - However, I can't imagine having a nice i7 system and not wanting to see what it will do if pushed.

Some would say to go with a 6870 based GPU, but I think the 470 has a slight edge for about the same price - Really depends on your preference for AMD or nVidia on that one. Looks good!

Lionsden

So the V8 cooler is good for its price AU$79?
Are all the components are compatible?
I am slightly concerned on whether they will all fit inside the case I've selected, especially the V8 cooler, its a beast!

jevery

I think the V8 will fit the HAF 922, though, I've heard the V6 cools as well for less size and money. Might check the reviews. Some of the better socket 1366 coolers are Thermalright True, Prolimatech Megahalems, Xigmatek S-1283, Thermaltake Frio, Zalman Performa.

I think everything there's compatible.