New Digital Camera?

spirit

Staff member
Hi all.

Been getting into photography recently and I would like to replace my ageing CyberShot DSC-W110 which I have been using for a couple of years now (about 2 and a half I think). It's been OK but I find that the 4x optical zoom isn't enough and the extra digital zoom makes my pictures grainy, and besides, I've been having problems with the camera for some time now so time I got a new one I think.

I went on holiday to the Isle of Wight a couple weeks back and I tried out a Panasonic Lumix bridge camera (not the newest, think it's about 2 or so years old) but I liked the bridge format and I especially liked the 12x optical zoom it provided. Small these days I know, but a large jump from 4x don't you think?

I have been looking around on the internet ever since I got back from that holiday at bridge cameras (I would prefer a bridge camera over a point and shoot really, mainly for the extra zoom), and I have been looking at FujiFilm cameras, mainly because of the cheap prices.

I've thought long and hard about this and even looked at other brands such as Nikon and Sony too but I have always come back to the FujiFilms, in particular, the FinePix S3200. The S3200 offers a 24x optical zoom, 14MP and a Fujinon lens, and it also records video in 720p as well. I know that some people get drawn into a camera by how many megapixels it has, but I'm more interested in the lens than the megapixels.

I'm no professional photographer I will admit, but I just enjoy photography and I would like to know what people think of the S3200 or FujiFilm cameras in general? I have used of these FujiFilms once or twice before and I quite liked both of them. I also like their panoramic shot feature.

I figured that I could get an S3200 with an 8GB Class 10 SDHC card and 8 Duracell 2450mAH rechargeable AA batteries for about £155 from Amazon UK - does this seem like a reasonable price? I don't really want to spend an awful lot more than that as I think as that is quite a lot of money for me at least. My CyberShot DSC-W110 was about £80 from Hughes Electronics in the Christmas sales, and the 2GB card I have in it was probably an extra tenner or so.

I've done my research and read some reviews on various photography websites and seen sample pictures and even some pictures of what photos taken on the S3200 look like taken at different ISO settings, but does anybody here own a FujiFilm camera? Are they any good? The two I used were more lower end than the S3200 I'm looking at and I only used them for a bit just to see what they were like.

The problem is that in the UK, and especially where I live in the UK, we have a severe lack of camera shops and electronics stores which actually allow you to see what the camera is like and what you think of it. We have a Jessops in Norwich but I doubt they'd have this camera somehow as it's quite a small shop.

Thanks in advance,
vistakid10

Last edited:

nick9809

This is an old thread but I thought I'd look through the camera subforum and see what I could help with. My father and I jointly share 2 Panasonic Lumix cameras. One(don't remember model #) is maybe 5 years old (?) and the DMC-TZ10 is fairly newly bought. They have great lenses for the price and are great in build quality and simplicity. They both have taken a few tumbles and are great. And as you said, the zoom is great on them. Not sure you've already bought a new camera, but I'd just thought I'd chime in!