New Gaming Monitor

Riddick12

Well currently I have this old Dell monitor that came with my computer. Currently I have an ATI Radeon HD 2600 HD agp video card and am looking to upgrade my monitor. I don't know anything about monitors or computers in general. I got this video card to let me play games until I get enough money to buy a new computer. I was hopeing I could get some suggestions on a monitor that will work with my current video card but will last long into the future. I would also like a monitor that wouldn't make my current fps suffer to much since my computer isn't top of the line anyway.

Thanks in advance
Riddick

Last edited:

bomberboysk

What is your budget, and what are the other specs of your computer? Im thinking a monitor with a 1440x900 or 1680x1050(the 1680x1050 puts a little more strain on graphics although) would be the monitor to get. Also, what games do you play on this computer so we can know how intensive of games we are talking about.

Riddick12

Well I'm not to sure on the budget yet. I don't need a top of the line monitor just something thats a lot bigger and a little nicer looking then my piece of crap I got now. Right now I'm playing mostly WoW but I like to play games like Battlefield also. However my computer can't really run anything better then BF2 so if it can run WoW until I can get a new computer thats fine. I got a 3.06 GhZ Pentium Processor and 2gb of ram if that helps. My fps on WoW is ok right now so I can't really afford to have it strain my computer any more because fps is normally between 30-60 depending on where I am. Sometimes it can dip into the 20's. Thanks for the quick reply by the way.

bomberboysk

Ok, do you have any idea what resoloution your current monitor is? Then we can go from there to look at some new monitors.

Riddick12

1024 x 768 try not to laugh. I hope to find something a little bit bigger then that :) Also I plan on getting this with the money I'll get for my birthday (end of August) so if anything is coming out soon don't count that out.

bomberboysk

Hmm, if you fps on WoW arent that great than a higher res monitor is gonna be a little tougher. Im thinking that with the current setup a 1440x900 monitor would work nicely, i have a laptop with the same processor and the default res on it is 1440x900, and the 2600 is a MUCH better video card lol. Ill take a look on newegg and post back some of the better monitors i can find.

EDIT: Ok, heres what i found.

1440x900, 19"

Hanns-G- $180 US
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254005

Samsung: $220, This one has a better contrast ratio than the hanns-g monitor, and standing by samsung monitors, i have one and its excellent.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001259

1680x1050- These monitors could make your framerates suffer somewhat more than a 1440x900 would.

19" Acer X193W $159.99, This is the same size as the above monitors, but higher res so images would look crisper on it. Its got the best bang for the buck of all the 1680x1050 monitors.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009127

21.6" Samsung 216BW(i have this monitor, its amazing) $250
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001236

21.6" Hanns-G 216DPB Similar in specs to the samsung but a little cheaper, $229
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254028

22" Acer 2216Wbd $220, Ratings on it look good, .4in bigger than the samsung and hanns-g monitors.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009094

The above monitors look to be some of the better monitors out there. Take a look at the reviews, and decide to yourself whether a dip in fps is worth the higher res. You could of course turn down some of the settings in games for them to run better at a higher res, so take that into consideration. Make sure u read through the reviews and see pros and cons of each monitor, and have a great time when you get your new monitor:D

-Bomber

Last edited:

Riddick12

Well if you highly recommend the one you have I'll definatly look into it. I never have a problem in game with the fps being to low except on very rare occasions in capitol cities with tons of people so as long as it wouldn't suffer to much a little bit is ok. Thanks alot.

cohen

now, you need a computer build, your say you don't have a budget, can i have a rough estimate.

Riddick12

now, you need a computer build, your say you don't have a budget, can i have a rough estimate.

Well I'm still in high school so I was planning on waiting until college to get a new computer (2 years). I was hoping to get a monitor that will work on both my computer now and in the future. I don't know how to put a computer together but if there is a cheap gaming computer out there that I could continue to upgrade that would be good but then I probably couldn't afford the new monitor too.

A visual display unit, often called simply a monitor or display, is a piece of electrical equipment which displays images generated from the video output of devices such as computers without producing a permanent record. A newer monitor typically consists of a TFT LCD, with most older monitors based around a cathode ray tube (CRT.) The monitor comprises the display device, simple circuitry to generate and format a picture from video sent by the signals source, and usually an enclosure. Within the signal source, either as an integral section or a modular component, there is a display adapter to generate video in a format compatible with the monitor.

are you just spamming all thread with quotes from Wikipedia? this needs to be stopped! *runs out side and grabs a police man*

Riddick12

I know this is kind of the wrong section but I was wondering if there is any way I can increase my FPS without getting a new video card. I have the video card I mentioned and 2gbs of ram and while playing WoW today I was in a big battle and went down to 11 fps at some points. Is there anything I can do or is my computer just to old to continue.