New Gaming PC

throne

I'm looking to pick up a new gaming rig that will last me for a few years. Right now I play WoW, and I'm thinking about picking up Warhammer if it turns out to be good.

Anyway I was looking at picking up http://www.alienware.com/customize/aurora-desktop.aspx?SysCode=PC-AURORA-R5&SubCode=SKU-PRO

I could get the gaming version for an extra 200 and everything would come out to 1299. I've thought about looking into something cheaper like on newegg.com, but Alienware just has good reviews and better warranties etc.

is it worth picking up the alienware, or does anyone have any suggestions?

I don't really want to spend more than 1200 on the PC. I know that leaves me not being able to get top of the line stuff so to speek, but I'm sure what I'm looking at will be more than enough for me.

Mez

Your crazy... That computer is only worth about 500-650 dollars USD.

They charge you way to much for a computer, just because its a popular brand. Build your own.

PS: Alienware is a high end dell

throne

man, I was hoping it wasn't that much of a ripoff. I suppose I could get help from a friend of a friend who knows how to build PC's. I'm not looking foreward to it though. Is it a long difficult process or is it fairly simple?

Mez

"long process", i can see you've never built a computer before. Well, no it is not a long process only takes about an hour or 2, and SAVES YOU A WHOLE BUNCH OF MONEY. Unless your impatient and can't wait that long =]

throne

ok well thanks for the input. I think you motivated me to go ahead and just build my own. I've got another friend who is actually doing it that way, and maybe I can just get my stuff and we can build them together or something.

I'm only familiar with nvidia vid cards...does this look like a decent system? I would be able to get it for a grand. The monitor is included in the price. If there is anything that isn't any good let me know and I'll do some research on upgrades.

AMD 5200 Ahlon 64 Dual Core Processor

Asus M2NE-SLI Deluxe Motherboard, Dual PCI-E video slots for future video expansion,

2.0 Gig PC6400 DDR2 Memory, 2-1.0 Gig Dual Channel

EVGA 8800GTS PCI-E with 320 Meg Memory, dual DVI output

320 Gig Western Digital SATA2 7200 RPM Hard Drive
Dual Layer DVD+-RW
56.0 PCI Modem
Microsoft Windows XP Home or Vista Home Basic with disc and license
Real Time Virus and Spyware Protection installed
20:1 Memory card reader
NZXT Black gaming case with clear side panel and lighted fans
KDS 20in. LCD Monitor K-20MDWB

throne

I didn't really want to spend more than 1200, but if I can get a system like that alienware for 650 like you said I may want to stay around 800 so i can get a new monitor.

throne

wow I really appreciate it. Lately I have been doing research to educate myself about all of this, but I started pretty late.

jutnm

man, I was hoping it wasn't that much of a ripoff. I suppose I could get help from a friend of a friend who knows how to build PC's. I'm not looking foreward to it though. Is it a long difficult process or is it fairly simple?

Not long at all ,in my matter, but for you , think of it as a complex fragile LEGO system that will take hour at most to put together, not including the OS
but for 1200 to spend on a computer, WOW ur very lucky i envy you , but if ur planning on getn a monitor, i would go about getting a TOSHIBA 22 INCH widescreen :p but ya u always have ppl on computer forum to help u

throne

Lego's may be a bad metaphore. I loved legos as a kid, and while my creations were generally ingenious...they probably looked like abomonations to somone who didn't know their function. Besides nothing was better than destroying them.

and the 1200 is the absolute top though. I'm in the military and my wife is a nurse so we make it haha.

Last edited:

throne

ok first question. Cant games only run off of one processor? and if so wouldnt the game run better of a dual 3.0ghz processor than a quad 2.5?

Mez

Well one processor, is very outdated, and cannot play much games. The newest one is the Pentium 4.

Well the Quad Processor "processes" information much faster then a dual core. If you want to I can fix that build and downgrade to a dual-core for you if you want to.

The Processor in my sig (CPU), is a dual core and can handle games very well. AND If you want I can get you the links for the computer in my signature. It only cost me 304.00, and with the Operating System 404.00 which leaves you plenty of money for upgrades

throne

no no if its a downgrade than forget it. I knew that a single was outdated, but I didn't know if the quad was actually better. ok cool though. Will this be able to play crysis and what not?

Mez

Of course it can play crysis =] The computer in my signature can play crysis on high. Think of what the computer I built you can play it on =]

Mez

Oh and I was wondering if you wanted a different computer case, for a cheaper price to leave you more money for the monitor, accessories etc.