New GPU'S and old games

Scofield

Okay so i plan on getting a new setup soon, and i love playing old games but also new games. So the graphics card i was looking at was the GTX 1060 6gb with Windows 7. I chose windows 7 because it is a lot better for old games and can still run new games. Will the GTX 1060 run fine on Windows 7? Also about the GTX 1060 since it is one of the newest ones will i be able to run old games well? I heard there were bugs because the GPU is so powerful and old games do not need that much power to run smoothly, like GTA 3 or GTA San Andreas for example. I want a video card that will run old games and new games well. Ty

ramirez

The GTX1060 should run fine in Windows 7. As far as games go, sometimes you can run into problems with old games but that necessarily is not do to the video card but with old games being supported with some of the newer operating systems. Sometimes a newer video card driver can bug out with some of the older games but rarely this happens and generally you will have to google to see if there is a workaround. If a game doesn't work for you try to right click on the game desktop icon, go to properties, under "compatibility tab" choose compatibility mode and try to run it under a different operating system. good luck

Calin

You can't install anything older than win 10 without hacks on Sky/KabyLake.
At the moment you can... but it is possible that MS will patch the older operating systems so that they don't support it anymore. I really hope that won't happen.

ramirez

Yeah MS can do some shady sh$&@! Man and I have some old games like Mechwarrior and Dungeon Siege that more than likely will go unsupported.

Last edited:

Calin

The only older games I tried with a modern GPU (some with my 1080s, some with my secondary's rig 980 Ti) are GTA IV, GTA SA and the original Star Wars Battlefront games (both 1 and 2)
They all work fine, but on some of them you can't even change the resolution to 1080p. (if I remember correctly in GTA SA I couldn't get past 1680x1050)

ReMiXeDg

Your right about that with GTA S,A your unable to change resolution

Most old games should work if it don't then there are a few work around you can try to use. Alternatively you can always run two operating system on your computer

ramirez

Your right about that with GTA S,A your unable to change resolution
Most old games should work if it don't then there are a few work around you can try to use. Alternatively you can always run two operating system on your computer

Man forgot about that!!! That is a very good suggestion.