New Graphics Card not working as well as expected

Just thought I'd say that I tried riva tuner and it wouldt let me go as high with the values as coolbits did. is there any way to apply the settings without having to test them? cos if I try to click apply is says that I have to test first to see if its stable.

elitehacker

That is true for coolbits as well. Have you tried powerstrip? I don't think there is a work around that safety feature and why would you? If it says it fails the test, then obviously there is something wrong and I wouldn't want to force the overclock.

elitehacker

Nice^^, that's pretty good for a mainstream card. I overclocked my 7900GT from 450/1400 to 620/1860. That is an overclock of 170Mhz on the core and 460Mhz on the RAM, but then the core that the 7900GT uses are designed to run at 550Mhz as they are used in the GTX model as well.

Theres just something that ive also been wondering. Is it better to play a game with a higher resolution and lower "everything else" or lower res.....

elitehacker

Its a balancing thing, I wouldn't want to play a game in 800X600 even if there is AA and AS and other quality options turned up to the max. The resolution dictates how much information to display and quality options improve image quality, like AA decreases the jagged line effect making edges look more smooth. I think a good resolution ranges from 1024x768 to 1280x1024. I think 1600x1200 is reserved for high end graphics cards ONLY.

elitehacker

Yeah for mainstream and budget cards i think 1024x768 should be ok, if it really lags then you might have to go back to 800x600. Back before I got my 7900GT, when i still had my FX5200, I used to play Doom 3 in 800x600 mode. it wasn't very enjoyable I can tell ya.

Yeah well I have a 6500. and it isnt very powerful. But im happy cos it I dont really care how nice the graphics are, I just enjoy the game. so this card ir fairly good for me as it can play all of the games i like

elitehacker

Well, if you can't see well, you can't play well. ;) That is so try for FPS games, one little jerk can mean life or death.

haha i suppose so. just out of interest, I downloaded 3Dmark01 just to compare my overclocking results. As I wanted to check how much higher the mark was once I had over clocked it. But the mark went from 4800ish to 4900ish O.Ced. That isnt a very big difference. does that mean that the overclocking hasnt done much for it?

elitehacker

It has, it really hard to get extra 3dmark points, the fact that its constantly higher than stock means it has don't something. I think the most reliable test is real world gaming. Did you know that there is a benchmarking feature in Doom 3> Go into the console and type "timedemo demo1 usecache" I think that is what it is, its been SOOO long, and compare the framerates you get with stock and overclocked.