New here please help with PSU

GigaByteUD2H

Hi guys! Currently I'm building a computer (1st time) and so far its going great! Except one problem. I dont know which PSU to get since they have different amount of wires and more of one thing than another. I'll list EVERYTHING that I plan on getting for my system and then you can let me know whats best. I'd really appreciate it.

Motherboard- GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AM3 AMD 785G HDMI
CPU- AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Quad Core (95watt)
CPU Cooler- CoolerMaster V8
Memory Ram- 4 Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Memory Cooler- Kingston HyperX KHX
OS- Windows 7 64 Bit
Video Card- XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
Monitors- 3 Hanns·G HH-251HPB Black 24.6" 2ms HDMI
Sound Card- Turtle Beach RIVIERA 5.1 Channels 24-bit 48KHz PCI Interface

I'll leave out the mouse and keyboard and headphones since those just use USB ports. Thanks again so much for what PSU you recommend is best for my system. :)

Last edited:

GigaByteUD2H

I can post a link to all the components if needed for looking them up faster? Will that help you guys decide which one I need?

Computer_Freak

whatever you do, keep in mind that you always need a good quality PSU.

Personally, i would go Corsair or PC Power and Cooling

I prefer the corsair though, cause i prefer having the 120mm fan instead of that small fan at the back. It acts as an extra exhast fan for your case (especially if mounted at the top).

But any one of those 2, you will be fine.

I would go for anything 650W + (it is slight overkill)

it leaves some headroom so that the PSU isnt running at near full capacity

GigaByteUD2H

whatever you do, keep in mind that you always need a good quality PSU.

Personally, i would go Corsair or PC Power and Cooling

I prefer the corsair though, cause i prefer having the 120mm fan instead of that small fan at the back. It acts as an extra exhast fan for your case (especially if mounted at the top).

But any one of those 2, you will be fine.

I would go for anything 650W + (it is slight overkill)

it leaves some headroom so that the PSU isnt running at near full capacity

I was looking at either a Silverstone or Antec. I did hear that corsair was a good one too along with Ultra. Really 650w is all I need? Because just the CPU and V-Card alone almost reach that capacity.

Its gonna be he best one I've built. I say when you do something, do it right and only 1 time. I've never been surrounded by 3 with a 5760x1200 resolution. They are 24.6" monitors. The vcard is capable of eyefinity and I love playing any kind of game. Wow, flight simulator, crysis, left for dead, stuff like that it'll make you feel as if your in the game itself :)

Only problem and I'm not sure if even the best 5970 card is capable of handling such a thing, but what about running HDMI to all three monitors? The fps has got to take a dive into the single digits depending on which game I play... correct?

Computer_Freak

You listed a 5870, not a 5970

i think a 5870 running 3 monitors at that resolution, will definatly make the FPS drop. Alot.

Maybe add another 5870???

and remember, what the GPU reccommended power is for the whole computer, not just the v-card.

its also overexaggerated to give headroom for overclocks, bad quality PSU's etc etc.

GigaByteUD2H

Thats what I mean, I'll be running a 5870. I was just thinking that even the best card wouldn't be able to handle such graphics. Sorry for the confusion :) I actually checked out video reviews on the one listed in your sig. I may go with that one. I just didn't wanna fall short of 1 sata cable or anything crazy like that lol. I know a little bit about computers, but when it comes to electrical outputs and terms forget it. :confused: I'll be coming back here for sure once everything is up and running. I want to overclock the cpu to 3.0. I know its not alot from 2.6. Thanks for all the help so far guys!

Last edited: