New i5 4670K build

johnvosh

Well since Haswell came out Monday, I've decided to do a new build. Here's the specs, let me know what you think....

Core i5 4670K @ $244.99 @ 4.2GHz, 1.20V, using the OC Genie on the mobo
MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming @ $187.49
Corsair HX650 PSU @ $117.49
Seagate 3TB @ $129.99
Patriot Viper 3 Series 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-17000 @ $149.99

SSD is an Intel 240GB 520 series I bought a while ago on sale
Video Card is my current MSI Radeon 7970 (1100 MHz, 1500 MHz)
Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler
Windows 7 Pro
NZXT Full Tower, white

Attachments

• IMG_4698.jpg
    IMG_4698.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 813

spirit

Staff member
Very nice. How does the 4670K compare to the 3570K (and maybe the 2500K too) in terms of stock performance and overclocking?

johnvosh

Very nice. How does the 4670K compare to the 3570K (and maybe the 2500K too) in terms of stock performance and overclocking?

Right now I have it at the same speed as my 3570K, and it's performance from what I've seen isn't really that much better. I would say that if you have the 3570K, I wouldn't upgrade, but if you have something older, then it would be a good one to build.

Jiniix

Imagine having a 2x200mm radiator in the top.
Nice cable management, but can I ask something?
Aren't you worried that your PC is gonna get flooded with dust? I always build with positive air pressure in my PCs, or are the exhaust fans turned down in speed?
PS: From what I've read, you should generally be able to reach 4.3 or 4.4 with 1.2v on Haswell, have you tried those speeds?

spirit

Staff member
Right now I have it at the same speed as my 3570K, and it's performance from what I've seen isn't really that much better. I would say that if you have the 3570K, I wouldn't upgrade, but if you have something older, then it would be a good one to build.

Maybe I'll upgrade when Haswell's replacement comes out (Skylake isn't it?) I'd probably go to an i7 too, with the increased amount of photo and video editing I'm finding myself doing. Or I might just find a 3770K and install that.

johnvosh

Imagine having a 2x200mm radiator in the top.
Nice cable management, but can I ask something?
Aren't you worried that your PC is gonna get flooded with dust? I always build with positive air pressure in my PCs, or are the exhaust fans turned down in speed?
PS: From what I've read, you should generally be able to reach 4.3 or 4.4 with 1.2v on Haswell, have you tried those speeds?

The 3 intake fans are on full speed, the 1 smaller rear exhaust is at full speed and the 2 top 200mm fans are at low speed. My place is quite dusty, but not really sure how I can keep it out of the computer? Any ideas? I can't put another fan on the side because of the heatsink and only NZXT 200mm fans fit this case. I changed the location of the front intake at the bottom blowing into 2 fans going across to sitting onto of the dvd drive.

PCunicorn

Maybe I'll upgrade when Haswell's replacement comes out (Skylake isn't it?) I'd probably go to an i7 too, with the increased amount of photo and video editing I'm finding myself doing. Or I might just find a 3770K and install that.

Nah, i would wait for the next tock as Skylake will probably be to Haswell what Ivy bridge was to Sandy. Anyways, awesome rig op.