NEW isp

DEPLAO40

I want to change ISP'S. I need to know if 5 mbps would work ok for e-mail, Netflex and surfing ? Don't want to order and have problems. Right now using Clearwire however they have an end date of Nov 1, 2015. I am looking at Xfinity.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
5Mbps is pretty low end by today's standards,If that ISP throttles during peak hours too like some do,Id hate to imagine what your speeds would be.

Don't get me wrong,It will work fine for Email/Surfing etc..But personally I wouldn't want that connection if I was streaming Netflix HD movies,and then have to worry about throttling or how many other people in the neighborhood are using the internet too bogging things down.

Moved thread to appropriate section. :)

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
I'd get something faster if available.

5 Mbps is barely good enough for HD Netflix.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Get Xfinity/comcast. They offer like a 12mb speed package at a decent price. Would also help if you get tv from them as it give you a better price. Not sure how much you want to pay. They do offer faster speeds than 12 as well.

DEPLAO40

Been using Clearwire at about 2 to 3 mbps and only a few problems but maybe Xfinity is different. Hate to use any Comcast as their services are reported as terrible but can not afford too much, fixed income.

Geoff

VIP Member
How much are you paying per month for this 5Mbps service? Comcast customer service sucks, but their actual service is excellent.

How many devices/users will be sharing this connection? 5Mbps would be the absolute minimum if you want to stream Netflix, and that's assuming you are only using one device at a time. If there are multiple devices and users using the internet at once, you will need faster internet.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I've had no problems with their internet service or customer service. I can't explain all the articles online of bad service from comcast service reps.

Geoff

VIP Member
I've had no problems with their internet service or customer service. I can't explain all the articles online of bad service from comcast service reps.
I've had horrible experience with them. They call me at 10PM and try to force me into buying a combo package, as I just have internet. They ask what internet package I have and I say the 150Mbps package, which they then ask if I want better internet, and have I considered the blast 50Mbps plan? They are clueless...

DEPLAO40

Price was good, $35 per mo and unlimited usage. However they go silent Nov 1, 2015.
I think I will have to go to Xfinity 12 gb.
Thanks for all the advice, a new adventure.