New Laptop but loses router internet connection.

Bought yesterday a HP 2000 Notebook. 1 very irritating problem from the start. Main computer is downstairs with a 1 month old Netgear router. I use it for Wii/Netflix(about 8 ft. away) and my wifes HP 2000(10 ft. away upstairs). So i'm thinking range can't be the problem.

Unpacked the new laptop and set up the Netgear router with no problem. However about 2 hours later the HP said it lost internet connection. It showed that I had 4 wi-fi signals I could connect to(neighbors)but did not show my Netgear router. Came downstairs and nothing was wrong with the router.

Just for the heck of it I reset(unplugged)the modem and router. When they came online went upstairs and sure enough the HP internet was connected to my router. That lasted 4 hours and the problem happened again. Reset the modem and router and problem solved again.

Just 30 minutes ago the problem happened again. What do you think the problem is? I can't keep doing this all day. Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Which netgear router do you have? Try to see if there is a driver update for the wireless card.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Go into the device manager and expand network adapters and tell me what it lists for the wireless adapter.

Can't get to her laptop right now. I checked my device manager-network adapters-expanded and it says "NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet." I know this propably means nothing to you but I checked Netgear's site and it says the Netgear 300 is supposed to work with Windows 8.

Will get you that info as quick as I can. Can't understand why it has no problems connecting to the other signals. I do very much appreciate you help. Thank You.

It's been 8hrs and the internet connection stayed connected all night. In the "Device Manager-Network Adapters" it says "Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11 b/g/n WiFi Adapter" Hope this information helps. Again,Thanks!

Just know it kicked me off the internet again. Will try the updating. When I go to the device manager and find the Qualcomm Adapter there is a update driver tab,should I go ahead and update it? Do the update from my pc or the laptop?

Last edited: