new laptop for under 400 bucks

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
If you don't mind the small size

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220441

I have one of these and I love it.

I have no experience with linux on it, but they offer linux drivers for it on the Asus website.

I just got mine on Monday and I love it! :D

I was at the Chinese buffet for lunch and I was using it to work on a project and everyone was asking me about it! They couldn't believe how small it was and that it was only $299.

speedyink

VIP Member
I just got mine on Monday and I love it! :D

I was at the Chinese buffet for lunch and I was using it to work on a project and everyone was asking me about it! They couldn't believe how small it was and that it was only $299.

Mmm, Chinese Buffet. But yeah, it's kickass. I've had much attention paid to mine too, they can't believe what it can do for the price in that form factor.

dark666apoc

atom chip ftw :D

id personally wait to see the prices on the new netbooks though they are suppose to be built with some nvidia built graphics and move aLOT faster

speedyink

VIP Member
atom chip ftw :D

id personally wait to see the prices on the new netbooks though they are suppose to be built with some nvidia built graphics and move aLOT faster

They may not be out for a while. And I have a feeling they will be much more expensive..just look at how much the Asus N10 is. My prediction is that the when those come out tbey will retail for about what the N10 is now (so like $700-$800)

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Yep, pretty much. We've had two Acer laptops, and both have been bad.

One gave random BSOD's and the other one had something wrong with the SATA port, it wouldn't read detect HDD's anymore.

On the other hand, Compaq and HP's are pretty good. Gateways are excellent too.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Yep, pretty much. We've had two Acer laptops, and both have been bad.

One gave random BSOD's and the other one had something wrong with the SATA port, it wouldn't read detect HDD's anymore.

On the other hand, Compaq and HP's are pretty good. Gateways are excellent too.

I have a stack off 5 dead HP Pavilion DV9000 (The newer ones) laptops. The video memory fries. We sent one machine to a motherboard repair shop in Florida to get one fixed twice and it just kept frying.

dubesinhower

i dont really expect to use this laptop till the end of time. thats pretty much the reason i got a 500 dollar one lol. by the time i need a new one, hopefully netbooks will be better.

fast1

i was looking through amazon, i think they fit right into your budget, you can go check it out
clear.gif

dannaswolcott

For that price range. Acer I would go with. I know may people buying the acer and the acer mini's and for the price I think they are worth it.