new laptop need suggestions

bigsaucybob

i have about 1000-1200 USD to spend on a new laptop and i want it to have a centrino or turion processor, whichever u think is better, dvd/cd-rw a gig of ram and its basically for using it at school and at home and for like light game playing. internet music thats about it. I am truly torn between the turion and centrino, should i get 512mb and get a centrino or get the turion and the gig. i have heard the turion is qute a rival to the centrino. What are your thoughts?

thanks for the help

o and i have been leaning towards the hp ze2000z or something like that, with the turion processor

X24

turion and a gig will outpreform the pm and 512mb, but the pm is a little bit better preformance wise i believe, and the turion is better battery, and is 64bit.

alanuofm

VIP Member
X24 said:
turion and a gig will outpreform the pm and 512mb, but the pm is a little bit better preformance wise i believe, and the turion is better battery, and is 64bit.

the turion and the pentium are so close in performance that benchmarks usually goes either way when factoring in human error. they both do very well on battery. generally the pentium M does a little better on power under heavy load.

Advitiya Saxena

1. Pentium M is really getting favourite among laptops, due to its gr8 performance n low power consumption.

2. I dont no much abt turion, but if its designed fr laptops n its 64 bit then its will out-perform P M n will b future proof.

3. Gig RAM will help in both case.

4. Look if u can get some discrete VRAM n a fast HDD (7200rpm)

5. A nice n clear screen is also a + point

bigsaucybob

thanks for all the help, will upgrading from like a 5400rpm hdd to a 7200rpm hdd have dramatic improvment, is it worth the upgrade?

bigsaucybob

thanks and wats the average battery life with the turion, a 12 cell battery, and just basic word processing? becuase im goin to be using it in school and cant recharge or plug into wall

bigsaucybob

i have found an hp with an athlon 64 processor 3200+, a gig of ram, dvd burner, 40gb hard drive, 128mb video. and it comes with 2 8 cell batteries. It comes to 924 (usd). will the athlon greatly decrease my battery life. Is it pointless to upgrade to the athlon 64 when im not doin much gaming and only word processing. and if i have 2 8 cell batteries can i plug one into the wall by itself or does it have to charge through the computers.

alanuofm

VIP Member
bigsaucybob said:
i have found an hp with an athlon 64 processor 3200+, a gig of ram, dvd burner, 40gb hard drive, 128mb video. and it comes with 2 8 cell batteries. It comes to 924 (usd). will the athlon greatly decrease my battery life. Is it pointless to upgrade to the athlon 64 when im not doin much gaming and only word processing. and if i have 2 8 cell batteries can i plug one into the wall by itself or does it have to charge through the computers.

yes it will decrease it dramatically. however you do have 2 batteries so i would estimate 2 ~ 2.5 hours of battery life.

with 12 cell a Pentium M will give around 4-5 Hr.......if u just use MS office

my 6 cell pentium M 1.6 gets 4-5 hours. also battery life is drastically affected by the size of the monitor and the video card. more power video cards draw more current.

thanks and wats the average battery life with the turion, a 12 cell battery, and just basic word processing? becuase im goin to be using it in school and cant recharge or plug into wall

then definately go with a pentium M or turion with atleast a 6 cell.

X24

I'd go with the turion with the 12 cell, it will have awesome battery life, also, for basic computing 5400 to a 7200 isn't to big of a gap, so i'd just go 5400rpm. heck i have a 5400rpm hdd in my I9300 and i game on it.

alanuofm

VIP Member
bigsaucybob said:
i have about 1000-1200 USD to spend on a new laptop and i want it to have a centrino or turion processor, whichever u think is better, dvd/cd-rw a gig of ram and its basically for using it at school and at home and for like light game playing. internet music thats about it. I am truly torn between the turion and centrino, should i get 512mb and get a centrino or get the turion and the gig. i have heard the turion is qute a rival to the centrino. What are your thoughts?

thanks for the help

o and i have been leaning towards the hp ze2000z or something like that, with the turion processor

it seem s like you are not doing anything too demanding. i would go with any of the current pentium M processor, 512 of memory, 5400 rpm hard drive, video card that doesnt draw too much power ie radeon 9000, x200m, x300, etc. also a 14.1 inch monitor should be sufficient. the lcd consumes about 33% of your laptops total power consumption.

bigsaucybob

alanuofm said:
it seem s like you are not doing anything too demanding. i would go with any of the current pentium M processor, 512 of memory, 5400 rpm hard drive, video card that doesnt draw too much power ie radeon 9000, x200m, x300, etc. also a 14.1 inch monitor should be sufficient. the lcd consumes about 33% of your laptops total power consumption.

i most definitly see wat ur saying but i have been saving for the laptop and while i ahve the money im gonna get all i can because i heard its pretty hard to upgrade laptops. and with the athlon 64 3200+ and a gig of ram with the 128 video would i be able to play battlefield 2 on low settings? cuase that would be awesome to play at school.

alanuofm

VIP Member
bigsaucybob said:
i most definitly see wat ur saying but i have been saving for the laptop and while i ahve the money im gonna get all i can because i heard its pretty hard to upgrade laptops. and with the athlon 64 3200+ and a gig of ram with the 128 video would i be able to play battlefield 2 on low settings? cuase that would be awesome to play at school.

then why not just build yourself a desktop? a gaming laptop sounds fairly appealing until you start trying to take it to class. however you have quite a bit of time till you go to college so i guess you could do whatever.

bigsaucybob

i already have a gaming desktop that i am quite happy with and my handwriting is absolutely terrible so the laptop would help with notes. and would hte athlon 64 give me terrible battery life? or did i already ask that

alanuofm

VIP Member
bigsaucybob said:
i already have a gaming desktop that i am quite happy with and my handwriting is absolutely terrible so the laptop would help with notes. and would hte athlon 64 give me terrible battery life? or did i already ask that

if thats the case you should definately get a pentium M or turion with a large battery. i dont really game much but when i do play cs or starcraft or war craft my radeon 9000 does it very well. an 8 cell on a pentium M can get you almost 6-7 hours on a 14.1 inch monitor.

X24

Yes, i'd go turion or PM for sure, it just matters how much you want to game with it.
if you want to game alot, pm would do you better with its greater availability with better graphics cards.
Heck my pm in my I9300 gets me 4 1/2 hours batter normally and its got a 17" screen!

bigsaucybob

well screw the gaming which is better for the internet, music and word processing? o and battery life. the turion im assuming?

X24

Turion and pm are about equal, all it really depends on is which you'd get a better deal out of.
I'd suggest you try to find a very portable laptop with good battery life, and it would be an added plus for it to have like a 9700 in it, like my friend kellan's

alanuofm

VIP Member
bigsaucybob said:
well screw the gaming which is better for the internet, music and word processing? o and battery life. the turion im assuming?

either will do. lets keep in mind turion and pentium M's are not value processors. to go on the internet, listen to music, and word process both will be able to pull those off and a lot more. i am on a pentium M 1.6 with a 14.1 inch monitor and i get 4-5 hour battery life when im using metrowerks codewarrior, maple, g++, surfing the internet, etc. and i only have a 6 cell. but i really like small laptops to take to class.