New laptop purchase questions

vdipuccio

Hi, I am looking to purchase a dell xps m1330 laptop with the following specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.5GHz/800Mhz FSB/6MB cache)
4 GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM
320 GB 7200RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive Free Fall Sensor
128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
Dell 1505 802.11G Wireless Mini Card
Windows Vista Premium 64-bit

I'm not really an expert on computer hardware so I wanted some advice on how this machine would suite me. Right now my big question is if 2.5ghz is fast enough for today's world and hopefully for about five years? Will there be a performance difference between RAM operating at 667MHz and 800MHz (every where i read 4gb seems to be worthwhile to purchase so i figured also getting 800MHz is a cheap way to get faster performance)? Iv'e also read that the wireless card is worth upgrading from the standard one for better range and speed?
I am a college student so this will be my only computer whether I am at home or not, meaning it will take a lot of use.
Thanks! Any further suggestions will also help me out a lot!

KennyZ

I would make sure that you purchase a brand new computer and not a refurbished one. I purchased a refurbished Inspiron 1520 and had a lot of problems with it and ended up with an XPS M1530 that was also refurbished and it was totally rebuilt 3 times before Dell exchanged it for another XPS M1530 that also ended up being completely rebuilt 3 times before I sold it for almost nothing.

vdipuccio

Well this one is refurbished. im hoping you just had some bad luck with dell because they are pretty reputable from reading other reviews, but im definitely a bit more weary now...

KennyZ

I will still stay very far away from anything refurbished by Dell. The first XPS M1530 computer that they sent me came with a broken DVD-ROM Drive which destroyed my Microsoft Office Disk that had an unlimited volume license (about a $2,000 disk) which they refused to replace. All I can say is be prepared for a lot of trouble and hassels with having the system repaired constantly.

Andrew Strauss

Hi, I am looking to purchase a dell xps m1330 laptop with the following specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.5GHz/800Mhz FSB/6MB cache)
4 GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM
320 GB 7200RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive Free Fall Sensor
128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
Dell 1505 802.11G Wireless Mini Card
Windows Vista Premium 64-bit

you may not be able to get this configuration laptop in dell xps m1330. But some another similar laptop you can find in dell inspiron or in dell vostro laptops.. click on my sign and find the all laptops details of dell, and also another brand.:eek: