New laptop w/ W10 installed. Need to install W7. Possible to save W10 for later use?

Hi all,

So I just purchased a new laptop (HP Pavilion) that came installed with Windows 10. It's going to be used as a work computer though and one of the programs that I need to install on it requires Windows 7. Is there any way for me to save the Windows 10 OS already installed before I reformat so that I have the option to use it in the future if it ever stops being a work computer?

If so, how? Where can I find the CD key for the Windows 10 installed?

Thank you!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried using the program in windows 10? Theoretically any program that works in windows 7 should work in 10.

Intel_man

VIP Member
If the laptop is a relatively new model, it may not have drivers to support the use under Windows 7.

beers

Staff member
Depending on the requirements of the program you could always roll a Windows 7 VM inside of Windows 10.

Have you tried using the program in windows 10? Theoretically any program that works in windows 7 should work in 10.

I haven't yet. I'm actually doing this for my father and have just texted him what the program is. Once I know what it is I'll post it here.

Depending on the requirements of the program you could always roll a Windows 7 VM inside of Windows 10.

How would I go about doing this?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure it will run fine in windows 10. Most programs will. You might find an odd program that won't but its not often.

Calin

You can create a partition on the hard drive, install Win 7 on it, and dual boot it with 10, but try the program on 10 first, it will probably work.

Went ahead and tried to reformat with the W7 install CD...when I did I got a:

"Selected boot image did not authenicate"

message. Anyone know what this might mean? Do the drivers not support W7?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried installing the program in windows 10? You'll need to disable secure boot in order to install windows 7. And its a very good chance you might not find all the drivers needed for windows 7.