New laptop, want ubuntu partition

xarik

just picked up an acer-5742Z for $100 (steal :p)....I have an SSD that is just laying around and I want to load W7 and Ubuntu 1 on it just for kicks....recommended partition sizes and options for donig such a thing? I have a W7 home premium disk but if I put it in it won't let me boot and reinstall for some reason :/

DMGrier

VIP Member
Are you wanting to install Ubuntu 1 cloud service? If your going to install Ubuntu I would recommend partition size of at least 15 GB so you don't worry about limited room for apps, more is better.

Before you install Ubuntu go check out the new release of Elementary OS Luna based on Ubuntu 12.04 and has full function Ubuntu software center.My opinion it looks far better, and for fact way faster.

xarik

Thanks! I'll take a look at that. I'm brand new to the Ubuntu/Linux world so I will have to take a look. It's confusing to navigate right now but it should get better with time :p I want to be able to switch between linux and w7 without shutting down but I doubt that's possible lol...I am considering selling it with the w7 and ubuntu combo in a solid state (60GB) but I have a 320GB backup hard drive too to sell it with so I'll experiment for a bit :p

DMGrier

VIP Member
Yeah no real way to switch back and forth, interesting concept though. You could install Ubuntu or Elementary and set Windows up in Oracle Virtual box. That is how I how I have it on my Vaio right now just in case I need Window which is not very often.

xarik

:( Sold the laptop before I could get this far...put in an SSD with a clone of a W7 HDD and he's buying it with the 320gb and I'll probably wipe the 320gb

xarik

umm I had it for the past 2 weeks ;P lol...I'm not a pro at it but I can navigate it fairly well but I don't fully understand it, no sorry. why what's up?

spynoodle

I'm personally a fan of Linux Mint, which is also based on Ubuntu. In short, it's like Ubuntu but with more of a classic desktop interface. I might try Elementary OS sometime, though; it looks pretty nice.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I'm personally a fan of Linux Mint, which is also based on Ubuntu. In short, it's like Ubuntu but with more of a classic desktop interface. I might try Elementary OS sometime, though; it looks pretty nice.

Is there a way in Linux Mint to enable the paid apps from Ubuntu?

xarik

Can I run mint on a USB device? I need something for my IT job (just started) so I can view the HDD without their os.... Might clone to ssd to the HDD and keep the ssd cuz I lose a ton of money on this deal, but its going to a friend

spynoodle

Is there a way in Linux Mint to enable the paid apps from Ubuntu?
I'm pretty sure, yeah. I know for sure that it comes preinstalled with Flash and Java, so I think it might even come with some of them enabled by default.
Can I run mint on a USB device? I need something for my IT job (just started) so I can view the HDD without their os.... Might clone to ssd to the HDD and keep the ssd cuz I lose a ton of money on this deal, but its going to a friend
Yes; the Mint installer is actually a full install of the OS itself, with an installation program included to install the OS on a local HDD or SSD. If you write the installer ISO to a USB flash drive, then you basically get a live portable version of the OS that doesn't save its configuration. However, if you choose, I believe that you can also install a fully rewriteable version of the OS to a USB drive.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I'm pretty sure, yeah. I know for sure that it comes preinstalled with Flash and Java, so I think it might even come with some of them enabled by default.

Yes; the Mint installer is actually a full install of the OS itself, with an installation program included to install the OS on a local HDD or SSD. If you write the installer ISO to a USB flash drive, then you basically get a live portable version of the OS that doesn't save its configuration. However, if you choose, I believe that you can also install a fully rewriteable version of the OS to a USB drive.

Well I know about Flash, I have purchased some games like "Torch Light" in the software center and was wondering if Mint has those paid apps from canonical? Elementary OS does since it uses the Ubuntu Software Center, though I read the next release of Elementary will have a custom App center but will still offer Canonical paid apps.

I would recommend though using Mint XFCE being on a USB it will fill a little slow, XFCE uses far less resources so will seem okay on a USB.

xarik

If I can get a live OS that keeps it's memory than that would be ideal! I have a 32GB flashdrive or a 1TB external. is there any way that I can load two OS's onto the 1TB so I can have one that keeps memory and one that restarts at every boot? I want one that forgets so that if I put it on someone else's computer, it won't remember what I did. I'm just kind of toying around with ideas now. Leme know where I can download this :)