new laptop with win10 os occasional freeze ups

I bought this asus laptop 3 weeks ago, installed the new win10. Everything seems ok except for totally random freeze ups. Then I have to force it to reboot. It started a couple days after unboxing it, brand new.

It makes no difference weather its sitting idol or performing small tasks. It freezes up occasionally and at random times. It will happen a minute after boot up, or an hour or three. Sometimes it wont happen for a few days.

As for a possible fix which steps should I take first?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Hard drive diagnostic for starters. Any new software installed that might be causing this? Its possible the windows update could be causing it too.

Hard drive diagnostic for starters. Any new software installed that might be causing this? Its possible the windows update could be causing it too.

I added nothing to trigger it that I can say, just the OS and an antivirus that came with it. The periodic freeze ups started happening since it was "fresh".

Other than that the laptop works great.

The thing about warranty is, its covered one year through acer, I didnt purchase a store warranty. Either way Id have to send it to acer and be without a pc until it comes back in ?? weeks. Thats not an option right now.

Correction, its an acer. Not an Asus.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then your only option is to pay to have it diagnosed and fixed by a local shop. What exact model of laptop do you have?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Malware scan using malwarebytes
Hard drive diagnostic. would need to know brand of hard drive used.
Memory test using memtest

Malware can be ruled out. Initially I suspected losing my wifi half way through caused an error I ended up re-installing the OS. I have performed scans, the results showed "clean". The problem persisted before and after installations. I also checked the two mouse drivers (current up to date), and tried different speeds. The issue may lay somewhere else.

Maybe an update will patch things up, as theyre still fine tuning windows? I got a 45 minute update on the weekend. Will report back with any findings, and the HD model.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If it still happens after reinstalling windows then it sounds like a hardware issue. You'll have to take it in for service. About the only thing you can do is do a hard drive diagnostic.