New member needs help with monitorproblem "Frequency out of range"

BlueIsTheColour

Hi, I'm new to this site, but something strange happened to my monitor yesterday.

I started an old game (Rollercoaster tycoon 2). It worked fine, and once I was in the game, i clicked "options" in order to change resolution of the game. First I selected a res. setting, but then I wanted to lower it, so when I selected a lower resoultionen (not sure which option it was), the screen went all black and a little blue square in the middle of the screen popped up saying "Frequency out of range". Then it remained like that without going back to the previous resolution settings like it usally does (when changing res on my desktop).
For my luck I found another input on the computer for the monitor and that's the one im using right now, but when I reconnect it to the other, the same message keeps showing up...

When I boot the computer it's all fine and I can see when it's loading etc, but before it has finished booting, the blue square shows up. :(

I dont consider it to be worth starting the game again and hoping not to pick a res. setting that will make it go black.

So do anyone have a clue of what to do when the "Frequency out of range" screen shows up? Monitor is a "VG1921vm"

Thanks in advance! :D

Last edited:

Pell

right, take out Cmos Battery for 10 seconds, put it back in load up into safe mode change resolution see if that fixes it.

remove-battery.jpg

BlueIsTheColour

I can add that I booted the computer in safe mode, went to RUN, typed in "msconfig" and then selected "Basevideo" before restarting my computer normally. I did not work :/

spirit

Staff member
Go into Safe Mode, uninstall your graphics drivers, then reinstall them and see if that helps. If you are using an NVIDIA graphics card, select the option to "perform a clean install" whilst reinstalling the drivers. Reinstalling the drivers should put everything back to default settings hopefully.

Are you using a graphics card or onboard video?

MMM

If you can boot in safe mode then your video drivers settings is corrupt or set wrong.
Do as what vistakid10 stated in his post.

BlueIsTheColour

Go into Safe Mode, uninstall your graphics drivers, then reinstall them and see if that helps. If you are using an NVIDIA graphics card, select the option to "perform a clean install" whilst reinstalling the drivers. Reinstalling the drivers should put everything back to default settings hopefully.

Are you using a graphics card or onboard video?

Thanks for the tip. I'm using a graphics card (Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT). I'll try what you suggested. :)

FuryRosewood

at least i remember on xp you could hit f8 and get a failsafe screen size option, can you give that a shot on your machine? have to do this while the machine is booting up

BlueIsTheColour

at least i remember on xp you could hit f8 and get a failsafe screen size option, can you give that a shot on your machine? have to do this while the machine is booting up

I'll give it a go right now. If it doesn't work I'll try to uninstall and then reinstall my graphics driver...

BlueIsTheColour

Problem solved! :D I booted my computer in safe mode, uninstalled and then reinstalled my graphics driver just as vistakid10 instructed, now It's all back to normal again! =D

Thanks alot for your help, much appreciated! :D

:good:

spirit

Staff member
BlueIsTheColour said:
Thanks alot for your help, much appreciated!
Pleased it worked out for you! :) No problems - happy to help another Brit!! (guessing by your spelling of 'colour' your are British too?)

BlueIsTheColour

Pleased it worked out for you! :) No problems - happy to help another Brit!! (guessing by your spelling of 'colour' your are British too?)

Thanks again :)

Haha, that's quite funny, because I'm actually from Sweden! :) Though I can't really figure out why i chose to spell it "Colour"... :p