New Member New Build

brokenwing

Last but not least, since im not as computer savy as some folks here if i run into problems, im sure there is plenty of support. I know if you purchase a computer say dell, and there is a problem i can call them up, im a bit nervous, since there is no support and this is my first build. Also the deals on the os for 80.00 that looks like that lasts for a couple of days correct. Also Im going to use the new egg prefered account card 12 monts interest free, any of you guys used that card and had any luck.

Perkomate

you could go for a socket FM1 processor, even though they are the newer generation. They combine a normal CPU with a GPU and even though it fits into the same size, it is the equivalent of i think a Radeon 6470 or something like that.

jonnyp11

yeah, it's a 90 buck cpu and a 70 buck gpu for 140, so 20 off, but it is an athlon quad basically at 2.9ghz for their best, never looked at the other so idk, it will cost more than this for less performance and next to no upgrading where this has a good range of upgrades

brokenwing

I dont understand the Fm1 board, sure it has a cpu but the next release bulldozer is going to be am3+ so i dont really understand why they came out with the fm1

jonnyp11

fm1 is made for the low budget market, it provides decent performance as a cpu, and great performance for a gpu when you consider the price range it is in as a dedicated card in a laptop of equal performance would cost a considerable amount more, it is just a comletely different line.

Benny Boy

High quality unit. Power enough for upgrades.
XFX Core Edition PRO550W (P1-550S-XXB9) 550W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified ...

GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

I'd go with this one. oc's very well and the stock cooler will do for some of that.
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

Good all around for games etc. You can max Sims. Promo + rebate + free ship
SAPPHIRE 100338L Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
If you think it's more card than you need, a $50-$60 5670 will also do very well for you're described use.

1600 CL7. 4GB is enough.
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

Reliable and quiet HDD w/ OD combo. Or, get Samsung F3 / WD Black.
Seagate Barracuda ST3500413AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

HANNspree By Hanns-G HF225DPB Black 21.5" Full HD WideScreen LCD Monitor w/Speakers

^ This, is about $640 + shipping, without promo's/rebates.
$40 in promo's + another $40 in rebates = about the cost of the OS.

So it will be over $700 a bit, depending on the case you choose.

A few cases - The evo needs a rear fan. The rest come with.

brokenwing

You guys I dont know how to thank you enough. Since this is such a big investment and a first time for me, I have one other option I want to explore before i purchase and that is intel. I know right now Intel is the leader in the market, and do you think I could build a I3 or I5 for around the same price?

jonnyp11

yes, an i3 2100 and a decent mobo, but the actuall performance difference won't be noticeable to the eye, and the multitasking will be cut short, but also amd is coming out with bulldozer to compete with these sandy bridges, the newest i3/5/7's, along with supposedly the next 2 versions of these cpu's, either way has benefits and none will really be noticeable other than having 20 programs open on each, try that on both and see which is better, no really, would like to know.

Perkomate

to be honest, it all depends on personal preference.
it depends whether you would like the newest generation and a faster architecture, or cheaper and slightly more upgradeable.

jonnyp11

in the end, both are so fast the diff isn't going to be noticeable in anything but benches and possibly multitasking a little, i just wish i could get 1.

brokenwing

Well I guess I need to bite the bullet, and order the parts, man i hate spending this kind of money lol. Any last minute suggestions before I order.

Last edited:

brokenwing

Well guys im still really debating another option and that is a fm1 liano. I can do a nice build for under 700 what is your alls opion on that.

jonnyp11

a LL(not i)ano isn't going to be as powerful as an i3 or phenom ii 955, and its only benefit is the power of a 70 dollar graphics card, which ou said your not gaming, so you don't need it, and with the others you can get an am3+ mobo which has a nice upgrading path, while currently fm1 has nothing and we know nothing of anything new coming.