New mobo and CPU for $400 AUD

Tommo4523

hi I am currently looking to upgrade my mother and and CPU for $400 AUD and is wondering what the best value is

I currently have
Cpu:amd phenom ii x4 955 be
Gpu: gigabyte radeon Rx 480 8gb
Mobo: gigabyte 5 year old bad one
Case: antec 1200
Ram: 16gb ddr3

Agent Smith

Okay, so you're looking for a new CPU? Intel or AMD? Also note that with a new CPU you need a new motherboard and RAM.

Tommo4523

I already have ram I have 16gb, and I would like to buy a motherboard and CPU for $350-$450 and AMD coz it's cheaper and I already have a AMD gpu

Tommo4523

im not too concerned with getting a super high end cpu yet, im fine with like an fx8350 and my ram is ddr3 so that wouldnt suit coz i have a tight budget

beers

Staff member
im fine with like an fx8350
Please realize this CPU came out in 2012. As a new purchase it doesn't make sense as you have zero upgradeability and can achieve higher performance on either intel or waiting a couple months for Zen.

The FX line isn't bad, I have a 8350 sitting on my desk, but this is a poor time to buy into a dead platform.

Agent Smith

OMG inflation is through the roof in OZ! Okay, this is the best I could do, there aren't many vendors listed for Australia. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/YLYL4D Note the compatibly note at the bottom of the page.

What you are looking for is a motherboard that is socket 1150 or socket 2011 with an X79 chipset for the 2011. Those take DDR3 memory. Then look for a CPU that is socket 1150 or 2011 X79.

I couldn't find crap at Amazon.au.

1 American dollar is worth $1.35 AUD. Crazy.

Last edited: