New Mobo & Memory, odd high usages.

Dizzy714

So I'll go back in time a little bit. I bought a Dell about 2 years ago for like $1200 or something like that, came with an i7 920, some really cheap processor, and 6gigs of some really cheap memory in literally 6 sticks [lol]. I've rebuilt my computer since then, but kept the Dell for a spare computer. That computer idles at 12-16% of memory usage. I've upgraded to an EVGA X58 FTW3 Mobo, 6Gb's of Corsair XMS3 Memory in 3 sticks, and an i7 950, and a Cooler Master V8 heat sink to sit on top of the CPU. Now this computer idles at 22-23%, when I open up Firefox an browse around it jumps up to 30%, even got to 50% literally just browsing around Firefox. Anybody have any ideas as what could be the lead problem to this? That Dell doesn't jump up with much usage at all browsing around the same stuff. It keeps real nice low usages. Any help would be appreciate.

linkin

VIP Member
It's a dell. It comes preloaded with crapware and modified OS. If you nuke it and install a fresh copy of windows It'll be like your new system.

Dizzy714

Oh trust me I did. That's not the problem though. The dell is an entirely separate computer from the one I've built now, though. And what I'm not understanding is how the Dell that contains a very very cheap mobo an cheap 6gigs of DDR3 in 6 sticks is performing way better with less usages than an expensive mobo, expensive 6gigs of DDR3 in 3 sticks. That's what I'm not understanding at all, kind of making it look like there's a problem somewhere.

Aastii

VIP Member
Are they on the same OS?

Bare in mind that web browsers, although they are light when you open them, and aren't resource heavy, every page you go on is stored so you can hit the back button to go back, if you type something, it is stored in memory, so if you close the window, hit back by accident, whatever, it dumps it so you don't lose all that you typed.

What starts out as maybe only 50MB in memory, will soon go up to a few hundred MB after a couple hours of browsing. 3GB extra, no, but it is more than you may think.

Open up task manager, click the processes tab and make sure the "show processes from all users" tab is ticked at the bottom. Click the memory heading to arrange in ascending order of memory usage, and then use your computer normally. Keep referring back to task manager, to see what, exactly, is using so much memory. If something seems out of the ordinary, like some random program is using a lot, or a program which shouldn't be, like Firefox, is using a few GB, post back

Dizzy714

Dell is on Windows 7 Ultimate and this one is on Windows 7 Pro, so yeah.

I use CCleaner on the daily, so I've always got a fairly clean computer. The Dell just runs so good and stays at low usage when using the computer normally, this one not so much. Firefox is pushing 669,000k, not so normal.