New monitor but now no sound.

gordont8

I would be grateful for help with this problem. My wife has a desktop PC that was custom built with Windows 10 operating system. The original monitor was a lot older than the PC and was giving trouble so was recently replaced with a new monitor.

The other day, for the first time, my wife was wanting to listen to a program on BBC iPlayer but noticed that the sound volume was pathetically low even with the controls set at maximum. I ran Windows sound trouble shooter and it said it had detected a problem, perhaps connected with "Enhancements". It advised enhancements should be disabled which I did but this made little or no difference.

A further search advised that the audio drivers should be updated. I updated the driver I found under "System Devices - High Definition Audio Controller" but the driver under "Audio Inputs + Outputs" ( a VIA High Definition Audio) was up to date, or so it said. Having done that the sound volume was still just as low.

I then did a further search where it advised I should uninstall and reinstall the drivers so I went to "System Devices - High Definition Audio Controller" and uninstalled the driver ( a Microsoft ). I then a downloaded a Realtek High Definition audio driver and followed the install instructions. I did not uninstall the (VIA) Audio Inputs + Outputs driver however. Having done that I now found there was no sound at all. On looking to see if the Realtek driver was installed I could only see what seemed to be the original Microsoft driver which I thought I had uninstalled. So my wife has a PC with a brand new monitor which provides no sound at all.

Your advice would be gratefully received, especially if set out step by step as I need instructions to be kept as simple as possible I'm afraid.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What model of motherboard do you have? If you don't know, then go into device manager and right click on the audio device and click on properties, then click on the details tab and give me the 4 digit vendor and device id numbers. They will look like this.

Might have to change the property box to hardware id first though.

sound driver.jpg

gordont8

Hello johnb35,
I am rather embarrassed to report that I have found the answer and it was nothing to do with the Audio Drivers etc. When the monitor was purchased, a Hanns G HE146,
it came with instructions on how to but it together but that's about all. I then found there were five buttons underneath the screen and on further searching on line I learned that theses buttons were for adjusting screen resolution and more to the point, audio volume. Having fiddled about with these buttons I managed to increase the volume to an acceptable level. However, the quality of the sound is quite poor as is the on line guidance for using the adjustment buttons. I would not recommend this particular monitor though I realize it would be described as a budget monitor.
Thank you johnb35 for your interest.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I kinda figured thats what it was. Monitors with integrated speakers usually suck, that's why dedicated speakers are always recommended.