New motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalen3285

Hi,

I'm looking to start doing some serious video editing with my computer. My memory options are kind of limited because I already have 512 MB to jump to 1GB it's a little expensive. So, instead, I'm thinking about replacing my motherboard and processor. Before I seriously think about it, though, I need some advice. I've got a Dell Dimension 8250, 2.66 Ghz P4, 512MB RDRAM. I'm looking to go to at least 2.8 Ghz, depending on how much money I have. What kind of motherboard and processor would anybody recommend? I'm not biased towards Intel, so if somebody likes AMD don't be afraid to suggest. I also would like to know what kind of memory people recommend because the kind the 8250 comes with seems to be kind of obscure and very expensive. Sorry about all the questions, if anybody could help with any of it, it would be great.

Thanks,
Kalen

edit: sorry if any of this sounds mundane. I use computers quite a bit but am inexperienced when it comes to changing out parts.

badmonkey

go with an amd 64, the clock speeds arent as fast but they are very quick and with windows x64 pro edition they will absoluty FLY! I would recommend a socket 939 board because that gives the ability to upgrade alot more than with a 754, just a suggestion though. You really should get a gig of ram if you plan on doing any video editing because i make ski videos in my spare time and the gig makes all the difference

Charlie7940

LoL look at the dates this guy posted this - more than a year ago. I don't think this person is coming back to read this.

I noticed this with all your posts ;)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
go with an amd 64, the clock speeds arent as fast but they are very quick and with windows x64 pro edition they will absoluty FLY! I would recommend a socket 939 board because that gives the ability to upgrade alot more than with a 754, just a suggestion though. You really should get a gig of ram if you plan on doing any video editing because I make ski videos in my spare time and the gig makes all the difference
Serious video editing = Intel

LoL look at the dates this guy posted this - more than a year ago
*Closed*

I noticed this with all your posts
You too eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.