New motherboard

spinnnerrr

Hey guys n gals.

My mobo recently died. I got a new one. Everything is now working. When I first booted, it brought me into the BIOS. I checked the boot priorities and set my SSD with the OS on it to #1. Said SSD is plugged in to the correct sata port. I then got the message, "reboot and select proper boot device". I tried numerous things and the message kept popping up. So, decided to reinstall my copy of windows 7. Okay, now I have been down graded from windows 10 to windows 7. On my SSD, it has the old windows file folder. Is there a way I can restore my computer back to windows 10? Windows 7 feels very slow and programs often do not respond and freeze up. I'm currently back on my laptop and all I want is to have my Windows 10 back with all of my previous files and to start gaming again!

Thank you.

edit: I think I'm currently figuring it out guys! ALL ON MY OWN!!!11 :D

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
Windows 7 feels very slow and programs often do not respond and freeze up.
Did you toggle the XMP profile on your RAM? You shouldn't have had to reinstall, usually you can prefer UEFI mode and select the correct boot device. Windows 7 should be about the same speed, you may have a difference in configuration or have not installed all of the drivers yet.

Did you have multiple drives hooked up when you originally installed Windows? Sometimes the installer will put your bootloader on another device than the SSD.

You can also use the Media Creation Tool to do a fresh Windows 10 installation instead of having to mess around with Windows 7. You can use the previous key to activate, or log into the account you had the license activated with.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

spinnnerrr

Not sure what you mean if I toggled the XMP profile on my RAM... but I can say for sure I did not. It was definitely set to UEFI mode and was selected for the correct SSD.

Yes, I had multiple drives hooked up to my mobo when I first booted after i got the new mobo in. Out of the 4 storage devices (2 HDD and 2 SSD), it only recognized the SSD's. When I reinstalled windows 7, I also had all of my drives hooked up.

Currently trying to use the Media Creation Tool to do a fresh install of Windows 10, but it failed for some reason. Got the error code - 0x8007007e

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is the new motherboard the same as the old one? Are you booting to the DVD to install windows?

spinnnerrr

Is the new motherboard the same as the old one? Are you booting to the DVD to install windows?

My old motherboard was an ASRock Z97 OC Formula. The new one is an ASRock Z97 Extreme 6. And yes, I was booting to the DVD to install Windows.

Had to go to work earlier today so I couldn't surf the web a whole lot, but I'll surf around tonight.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
And yes, I was booting to the DVD to install Windows.
It looks lilke you are inside windows in that image. You want to physically boot to the dvd, delete existing partitions and then set them back up agai then install windows. Bnack up any data as you'll lose everything when doing this.