New PC build - constantly reboots at bios post screen

zaroba

Building a new i5 system for my moms birthday to replace the old core2duo I gave her a few years ago. Using an ASUS P8H77-V mobo, i5-2500K , and 8gb Corsair DDR3 1600. no GPU, mobo supports graphics via cpu, and the cpu provides it.

Set it all up, turned it on, it went to the initial Bios post screen and then repeats. over and over. I can get into the bios settings though without trouble, just not past the bios screen.

I tried 3 different PSUs in it (old one, and 2 brand new ones) and had the same results. I tested the two newer power supplies in a different computer and they worked fine. I pulled the ram from the computer and it did it's no-ram beeping. I tried booting the computer without the hard drive and the bios did throw up an alert due to no bootable device being attached and didn't auto-reboot.

The hard drive is from the old computer and has win7 on it. It's a 320gb (bought it when that was nearly the largest sata drive) and I do plan on reformatting it anyway, but could that be the problem?

I am in the process of downloading Ubuntu to install on a USB flash drive to see if that will boot it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You have an issue with the hard drive. Doubt you'll be able to test it since you can't boot with it attached. You'll need a new drive most likely.

zaroba

It seems that is the case. The computer boots fine with the flash drive.
Thanks.

Wow though, out of all the bad hard drives I've had over the years, I've never once seen one that made the computer reboot over and over. First time for everything.