New PC in mind

jj94

New Member
Hey guys. Well it looks like I'll be getting a new desktop for Christmas, and I wanted some help picking out the best bang for the buck desktop. The budget is at maximum $1100. I'd like a fast computer good for games, heavy multitasking, and can handle a lot of software with ease; I guess a good all around performance computer. It'd also be nice to have it look at least decent and be easily upgradeable if I want to add or change some equipment inside. I looked through Tiger Direct and found this - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5376869&CatId=4928
It looks pretty good, but I'm not sure how good the specs are compared to its price, or what the build quality of the machine is. For the desktop, I'd like to have at least 6GB of RAM, Windows 7, and at least an i5 but preferably an i7. At least a 500GB hard drive is also preferred, or two smaller hard drives. A nice video and sound card would be nice too, but I supposed I can always replace or add them later. Thanks!
 
Honestly, you don't know what components are in that build from Tigerdirect.

I'm sure you'd be more than happy with this system.
Add another HD 4830 later if you want, and another 500Gb hard drive for RAID 0.

$1081.90 before rebates
$1041.90 after rebates

*****************************************************

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz $288.99

Foxconn FlamingBlade GTI $154.99

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 $149.99
($119.99 Rebate)


CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX $109.99
($99.99 Rebate)


HIS Radeon HD 4830 512MB $94.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB $49.99

COOLER MASTER HAF 922 $99.98

LG Black CD/DVD Burner $27.99

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit $104.99

*****************************************************
 
Thanks for the list. Is that all I absolutely need to build a running computer?
However, my parents are really edgy about building a computer as opposed to buying a factory built one. I'm not really sure what their exact reasons are as to buying a prebuilt one. But I'm 15, and don't know too much about computers and parts. I'm still learning little by little, and I don't know if i can trust myself to do this either. Though the idea of building it myself is very appealing. How about some prebuilt models I can take a look at for now?
 
Sorry, I can't help you there. Like I said, you never know what's inside, but you do get "support" with a prebuilt, so...

If I was to buy something prebuilt, I would buy something locally, so I could speak to someone in person if an issue ever arose.
 
Oh. I hate to be naive, but why wouldn't one be able to know what's inside the computer?

What brand and model motherboard is in that computer from Tigerdirect? What brand and spec memory, with what timings? What brand power supply?

You won't know till you get it.
 
WOO! Well I just realized that I have a Microcenter about half an hour away from me, so I can get the i7 920 for $200. Does Microcenter have any good deals other than CPU's?
 
WOO! Well I just realized that I have a Microcenter about half an hour away from me, so I can get the i7 920 for $200. Does Microcenter have any good deals other than CPU's?

They have pretty good prices on lots of things - but you can beat them at newegg by a few dollars here and there combining discounts.

Do your homework before you go there. the one by me will usually match a price if you're buying your stuff there. If you are looking at Newegg - and they have a similar price - I'd print out the webpage before you go there - and there's a good chance they'll match ya. If you fill up a cart with discounts and rebates on Newegg's site - and print it out - they might match you for your complete build.
 
I'm looking at some motherboards now (and comparing prices from Newegg and Microcenter) and I think I can push the price up a bit from the Foxconn FlamingBlade's $150 to a bit over $200. How are these motherboards, and are there better ones around these prices (including rebates)?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188049
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131359

And do motherboards need to support SLI or Crossfire in order to use multiple graphics cards from either Nvidia or ATI?

I'm just in the planning stages right now, so I'll be all set if and when my parents allow me to build the rig. I'm still debating on whether to settle for the 860 with its higher clock rate and 1156 socket or the 920 with its lower clock rate but 1366 socket.
 
Well my parents said that they aren't comfortable with me building my own system, so they said that I have to get a prebuilt, and maybe next time I'll be able to build one myself. They set the budget down to $1000; I saw this, and it looks pretty good to me: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227196 It isn't available yet, but I can wait a bit. In the future, I think I may want to upgrade the RAM (definitely) to at least 6GB and hopefully get a better GPU. What do you guys think of it?
 
you know you can just got ibuypwerpc.cpom and make that plus you get free games and some other goodies
but i prefer cyberpowerpc.com
 
I try to shop from different websites (I use google product search, I even tested against yahoo shopping, google found the cheaper stuff). Its way more effective.
 
Last edited:
The PC that Bodaggit23 suggested will be probably best choice in this type of situation. Although, if you wanna invest a little more money in, buy HD4870x2 2GB
 
Back
Top