New PC...or not???

jasperh

Hi,

currently I own a PC with the following specs:
-videocard: EVGA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB PCI-E GPU 575MHz / MEM: 1,80 GHz
-Processor: Intel Core2Quad Q6600 4x 2,40 GHz 8M Box 1066 MHz FSB incl. Intel boxed cooler
-3 GB RAM
-Windows Vista 32b
- 700W FSP Epsilon 700 ATX 12V-Active Full Range SLI ready
-motherboard: MSI P6N SLI-FI PCI-E ATX S775 nForce650i

I bought this PC 2 years ago with the intention to properly play FSX(with scenery and aircraft addons), but unfortunately I think my system is to slow...(2 fps with blurries with a landing on a major airport like FRA/EDDF(frankfurt) with an addon aircraft(PMDG) with all FSX settings optimised. This on a clean install of MS Vista). Because I like the simulator to much I still want to try to upgrade my system(or if really possible.. to buy a new PC)

My Q: which part of my PC I have to upgrade to meet the required level of performance I want(like 20+ fps at a major airport with an advanced aircraft simulation like PMDG at an res of 1680x1050) ? ... or... do I have to buy a new PC??

P.S. someone told me to overclock my PC... Unfortunately I don't like to do this unless I really have to... I'm preferably looking to upgrade some parts of my PC.(budget is around 1000EUR)

Thanks for your help,

Jasper

Fatback

VIP Member
You should get an after market CPU cooler so you can overclock your CPU. Then you need a new GPU something like a 4890 or another 8800GTX. Then upgrade your RAM. Your power supply will probably be good as long as it has enough PCIe connectors and enough amps.

bomberboysk

Hi,

currently I own a PC with the following specs:
-videocard: EVGA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB PCI-E GPU 575MHz / MEM: 1,80 GHz
-Processor: Intel Core2Quad Q6600 4x 2,40 GHz 8M Box 1066 MHz FSB incl. Intel boxed cooler
-3 GB RAM
-Windows Vista 32b
- 700W FSP Epsilon 700 ATX 12V-Active Full Range SLI ready
-motherboard: MSI P6N SLI-FI PCI-E ATX S775 nForce650i

I bought this PC 2 years ago with the intention to properly play FSX(with scenery and aircraft addons), but unfortunately I think my system is to slow...(2 fps with blurries with a landing on a major airport like FRA/EDDF(frankfurt) with an addon aircraft(PMDG) with all FSX settings optimised. This on a clean install of MS Vista). Because I like the simulator to much I still want to try to upgrade my system(or if really possible.. to buy a new PC)

My Q: which part of my PC I have to upgrade to meet the required level of performance I want(like 20+ fps at a major airport with an advanced aircraft simulation like PMDG at an res of 1680x1050) ? ... or... do I have to buy a new PC??

P.S. someone told me to overclock my PC... Unfortunately I don't like to do this unless I really have to... I'm preferably looking to upgrade some parts of my PC.(budget is around 1000EUR)

Thanks for your help,

Jasper
Best thing for fsx would be to get a more powerful gpu, such as an hd4890 or GTX285. Also, maybe you should try lowering some of the traffic levels...those really put a strain on the cpu, i know even with my rig in my sig if i go above 40% or so on all traffic ithe q6600's are good overclockers and you could prolly get at least 3.2-3.4 ghz out of it.. Also...why are you running 3gb of memory? Either run 2 or 4gb, with 3gb you lose dual channel.