new pc sometimes stalling on start-up ?

newby1

Hello,
just bought a new pc. But sometimes it stalls on the first page when starting up, just before it normally says "initialising drives". So far if I just turn it off and restart it, it runs o.k. But I'm worried it could become a problem.

Any thoughts or suggestions please.

I've done a system check to see if everything is functioning properly and no problems showed up.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Does it do this each and everytime you boot your pc? have you built this pc yourself? could we please have some system specs to go by. Also is there any message on the screen at the point it stops?

Try going into your bios and setting "Halt on Errors" or somthing similier to dissabled and see if the problem persists.

newby1

No i didn't build it myself but I did get it from a small company off ebay. I'm new to computers. I've only just installed the drivers for the motherboard and soundcard. Could it have been that ?

Should the drivers be installed before XP ?

It's a pentium 3.4Ghz (64 bit prescott processesor) with XP professional on it. 200Gb maxtor hard drive. Gigabyte motherboard (can't remember which one - I'm on another pc at the moment) But the memory is elixia 1Gb (I think it's a cheap one !) Radeon 256mb graphics card.

It's got some very complex looking diagnostic stuff. As I've said I've looked carefully through them but can't see anything amiss.

No messages on screen when it stalls.

No it doesn't stall every time. One time it did it when I'd left a disc in the drive
by mistake. But that may not have had anything to do with it.

When it doesn't stall there is still a few seconds between it saying the memory is o.k. and it initialising drives, so I don't know if it's having difficulty finding a path or something.

Last edited:

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Should the drivers be installed before XP?

No you did it right as you would not be able to instal these drivers before the OS.

No it doesn't stall every time. One time it did it when I'd left a disc in the drive
by mistake. But that may not have had anything to do with it.

That makes sense as the floppy drive is most likely the first in the boot chain so it's looking for a floppy boot disk and if it finds a disk that is not a boot disk it'll stall as you call it and tell you to insert a boot disk or somthing similier.

This could really be caused by a few things but as it does not do it all the time there is prob. no cause for concern, If it does it often enough to be annoying you might want to try setting your bios to ignore boot errors and this may help you in loading windows without the need to attempt the second boot.

Not a fix I know but perhaps someone else will reply with further insight. It could be a memory error on boot or somthing else entirely.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
just bought a new pc. But sometimes it stalls on the first page when starting up, just before it normally says "initialising drives". So far if I just turn it off and restart it, it runs o.k
Does it work if you just let it sit there? Could be an autodetect issue

Gigabyte motherboard (can't remember which one - I'm on another pc at the moment
If you can get this that would be good :)