new peltier cooling idea?

funkysnair

VIP Member
well i have been toying around with the peltier idea on the cpu but the condensation problem is getting the better of me so i though up this idea as a little trial...

i am going to be mounting a dual rad in my 1200 (upfront again) and ive toyed with the idea of having a single rad in the loop, usint a copper plate,cpu fan/heatsink and a 140watt peltier (or 400watt) i devised this (i used microsoft paint so dont laugh)

peltier2.jpg

so basicly ill have the two fans cooling the liquid down in the dual rad then passed to this single rad using the peltier to drop the temps more, do you think there will be a difference? if so, much?

the copper plate will be touching the copper fins on radiator, also ceramic thermal paste will be used on the cool side and artic silver on the hot side of the peltier!

i allready have the parts, i thought it might be worth a try

Last edited:

pies

It seem like an interesting idea I've heard of people doing this but never quit understood what it does.
Does the peltier use current to help with the cooling?
I'm interested in seeing it completed.

funkysnair

VIP Member
It seem like an interesting idea I've heard of people doing this but never quit understood what it does.
Does the peltier use current to help with the cooling?
I'm interested in seeing it completed.

there are 2 plates of ceramic with something seperating them (not sure of the meterials)..

basicly the peltier draws the heat from one side and passes it to the other

the cold side can drop to sub zero temps

how much will all of this cost, and what result do you want to obtain?

peltier cost £10 thats one of the reasons i want to experiment with it, i have a 140watt and a 400watt version.

the results i want is to obtain sub zero temps, and go for big overclock on the i7.

in reality i dont think i will get sub zero temps as the peltier is not in direct contact with the cpu-but i am hopping that the thin plate of copper will carry the cool temps of the peltier to the radiator!

bomberboysk

there are 2 plates of ceramic with something seperating them (not sure of the meterials)..

basicly the peltier draws the heat from one side and passes it to the other

the cold side can drop to sub zero temps

peltier cost £10 thats one of the reasons i want to experiment with it, i have a 140watt and a 400watt version.

the results i want is to obtain sub zero temps, and go for big overclock on the i7.

in reality i dont think i will get sub zero temps as the peltier is not in direct contact with the cpu-but i am hopping that the thin plate of copper will carry the cool temps of the peltier to the radiator!

If you have a 400W, put that onto the cpu directly with a cold plate, then use the 140W to cool the loop your cooling the pelt with.

ScOuT

VIP Member
Sounds like a pain in the a** to work with. Maybe I just don't have the time or energy to do some thing like that. :D

It would be cool for an epic over clock! If you try it...pics!

A friend of mine has a 240mm rad mounted behind the case. One day he unscrewed the rad and took the fans off. He made a bucket of ice water and just dropped the rad in there. Talk about great temps:) He has a Q9550 on an eVGA 790i board and he was running at 4.4GHz stable. He ran a few 3Dmark06 runs and primed it for almost 2 hours...then it crashed:( If I remember right...he was idel at just over 10c. He got max load temps in the low 30c range. The water was so cold running through the tubes it was building condensation on the tubes inside the case:)

Last edited:

funkysnair

VIP Member
If you have a 400W, put that onto the cpu directly with a cold plate, then use the 140W to cool the loop your cooling the pelt with.

nah...

my idea is to try to cool the liquid rather than direct contact with the cpu, just for condensation reasons.

i just blew £230 on a i7 and im not sure if i want to try it yet, i would however try it on a cheaper pc.

i have some bits around here, intel E2200 and some odds and sods

and im sure the cold plate is only needed if the peltier is smaller than the cpu and by the looks of the 400watt its a little bit bigger

Sounds like a pain in the a** to work with. Maybe I just don't have the time or energy to do some thing like that. :D

It would be cool for an epic over clock! If you try it...pics!

A friend of mine has a 240mm rad mounted behind the case. One day he unscrewed the rad and took the fans off. He made a bucket of ice water and just dropped the rad in there. Talk about great temps:) He has a Q9550 on an eVGA 790i board and he was running at 4.4GHz stable. He ran a few 3Dmark06 runs and primed it for almost 2 hours...then it crashed:( If I remember right...he was idel at just over 10c. He got max load temps in the low 30c range. The water was so cold running through the tubes it was building condensation on the tubes inside the case:)

its just a curiosity of mine with the thermoelectric cooling stuff, i would be over the moon if it worked (my 1st little experiment lol )

Last edited:

bomberboysk

Well, anytime your sub ambient there will be condensation, eg- on the tubes and whatnot. Since you are doing a chilled loop though, one thing you may wanna look at is a cheap cpu waterblock, put the cold side of the tec onto that so it chills the loop and not just the rad, and put a halfway decent heatsink on the tec(a stock intel heatsink wont handle 400W of heat..)

funkysnair

VIP Member
Well, anytime your sub ambient there will be condensation, eg- on the tubes and whatnot. Since you are doing a chilled loop though, one thing you may wanna look at is a cheap cpu waterblock, put the cold side of the tec onto that so it chills the loop and not just the rad, and put a halfway decent heatsink on the tec(a stock intel heatsink wont handle 400W of heat..)

yeh that was the other thing that was putting me off the 400watt....

i like the cheap block idea, thats an interesting thought

ill ponder over that one thanx ;)

also if the condensation does form on the tubing i might look into some lagging, or foam of some kind

bomberboysk

yeh that was the other thing that was putting me off the 400watt....

i like the cheap block idea, thats an interesting thought

ill ponder over that one thanx ;)

also if the condensation does form on the tubing i might look into some lagging, or foam of some kind

Yeah, i think something similar to a waterblock is how commercial tec chillers for systems are made. One thing that may help the hot side would be to get something like a sunbeam core contact freezer(similar to the xigmatek HDT) to keep the hot side as cool as possible as they are not that expensive...

stephenniall

A peltier is a good idea but remember one side gets extremely hot so you may want to add a high powered fan to try and cool that side down incase it burns a wire or soemthing

cow007

Condensation problems.

One way to avoid condensation may be to fabricate an enclosure of some sort maybe even plastic or resin and place it over any cold components in an airtight fashion. Then you pump in argon gas and install a check valve with shutoff on the other side to allow the gas to displace the air inside and seal the enclosure. No water vapor will be present inside and it will be thermally insulated from the enclosure by the gas. In this way you can make direct contact between your pelter and your processor and achieve whatever temps are necessary. Don't forget the other side of the board however if it becomes cold enough an additional enclosure may be neccicary an possibly smarter additional solution that i was thinking about is to put a diode current manipulator (i know that's not what its called but it sounded better than dimmer) so you can use the 400W pelter and adjust the output as needed. You could use the internal usb bus and a cheap usb controller with simple software (or a hack that uses existing power management resources from your system's software and sensors) to automaticly adjust the output to maintain the desired temp, reduce energy use and resulting waste heat. The i7 lends itself well to this also due to power boost. Basically what i am saying is that you could set it up so that a desired temp was maintained during idle and non processor intensive operations. When things start to pick up the pelter does as well and assuming it is timed correctly (which can be assisted by choking your programs down to a normal speed in software for half second or so) should be able to maintain a positive coefficient allowing it to reduce the temp down further as power boost brings it up to the ridiculously high speed you have overclocked it to (which will be even higher due to the direct contact from the pelter, the lower resistance of the semiconductor at lower temps (less heat in the first place), the enclosure, argon gas etc. That's my bit. -Cow

Last edited:

itimeheke

There's actually no point to use peitler to cool cpu, cause itself needs also heat dissipation.
Q: Where's the difference between cooling cpu directly or peitler element on top of it?
A: In cost(you'll have to buy a peitler element), and power usage.