New Problem: Sandisk Extreme 240 and Upgraded Memory

TankerHC

OK, I got the original Memory Dump problem fixed with Memtest and a replaced stick of ram. After a week, now I am having some other problems.

The Computer is a Toshiba Satellite L775

I installed a Sandisk Extreme 240gb SSD. Cloned the original drive. Upgraded the ram from 4 to 8GB PNY.

The ram is fine, no errors when running Memtest Deluxe past 1000%.

1. If I cold boot, it gets to the Win splash screen, the goes right into a memory dump. Then reboots. Upon reboot, it will get to the initial Windows screen with the four colored squares, and fail, the error goes by so quick I have only been able to read one part that says "One or more of your disks needs to be checked".

2. Then it will do one of two things, boot all the way up and work fine (Until the next boot or reboot). Im using it right now without a problem.

2.1 Or, shut down and then the only way to get it to boot is to unplug, remove battery, wait a minute, put battery back and reboot, in which case it goes starts back at 1. (Above).

Any idea what could be the cause? Thanks. J

spirit

Staff member
If you cloned your HDD onto the SSD you may have some issues there - try wiping the SSD and install a new copy of Windows onto it, and update your SSD firmware too as well as your BIOS and drivers.

TankerHC

OK, I attempted to update the MB BIOS, however my ver. is 1.70 and Toshiba's latest ver. is 1.40. I did update the SSD Firmware, there were some updates. All of my other drivers are up to date. It is now rebooting and I havent got any more memory dumps in 10 or 15 cold boots and reboots. However, I am still getting the "one or more of your discs needs to be checked" error then it boots normally. Should I still wipe the drive and do a clean install?

spirit

Staff member
You could certainly try wiping the drive and reinstalling - make sure you back up all of your data first.

What SATA settings are you using in the BIOS? AHCI? IDE?