new processor help!

matias_edt

the reason i want a new processor is to play latest games like half life 2, farcry,doom 3 ,and others...i dont know much about processors and i need help to find the right one.i currently own an intel pentium 4 1.6 ghz and i am not happy with it when playing farcry ,and moh passific assault demo...it takes a like 5 -7min to load the games and i belief its the processor whats not doing its job...will an intel pentium 4 2.8 ghz be a good choice to play all latest games? is it only the processor that i need to upgrade to get better performance to play latest games?

computer specs:

512 RAM
intel pentium 4 1.6 ghz
ati 9800 pro 128 MB (just got it!)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Not only are you going to have to get a new CPU, you'll have to geta new mobo -- your CPU is a socket 423 chip and the newer ones are socket 478 (and then socket775). You might also need different ram

jesbax

no it wold be cheaper to get a new motherboard and prossesor and ram. If you look in the right places you can pickup a mobo with ram and cpu together. The mobo i have came with 512 mb ram and 2 GHz cpu and a lifetime warranty.
100 GB Maxon HD
16x DVD-ROM
52x32x52x CD-RW
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX
NVIDIA RIVA TNT Model 64/Model 64 Pro
RAGE 128 GL AGP
VIA Rhine II
ADMtek AN983 10/100 PCI

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
If you look in the right places you can pickup a mobo with ram and cpu together
90% of the time you're better off without those 'combo' deals

The mobo I have came with 512 mb ram and 2 GHz cpu and a lifetime warranty.
But the lifetime warranty thing has a lot of stipulations

should I just get a new compuer?
Probably not although it might depend on a couple more things.
1. Whats the budget
2. When is the next time you plan to upgrade? Will it be a serious upgrade or a "lite" upgrade
3. What kind of performance do you need NOW

jesbax

lot of it is dependes on were you buy your stuff. If you buy your stuff on the web combos is not the way to go. Now at a local dealer you will have better chance of geting better deals. it all depends on where you go.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Now at a local dealer you will have better chance of geting better deals. it all depends on where you go.
Often local deals dont deal that "combo crap" -- and before you start pulling links left and right, there are two different types of combos:
- Combo 1: The chip is physically soldered to the socket and the cpu fan is permanently attatched to the mobo/cpu. This is more common with online sales... if i ever find a store that does this ill yell at them
- Combo 2: You buy a board and a chip and a fan, they put it all together (on the board) and give you a discount. This is common. Even then, you can usually do better yourself.