new processor questions

cheburns

am I going to have a problem running the system in my sig upgrading to an AMD Phenom 9950 processor?

also is there much more to upgrading a processor than taking the old one out and putting the new one in?

thanks

will I notice a big difference from my old processor? is it worth the 150 bucks?

Last edited:

lawson_jl

I'm gonna give you a two part answear. Does your board support that chip? I don't know and I'm not bothering to look you should do that yourself. Will you notice a differnce? More then likely not. Just running Windows, Surfing, movie watching and most game playing aren't going to be improved since they aren't likely topping out your dual core now. More demanding games (like GTA IV) and apps such as audio and video encoders/editors, Photoshop, etc will see an increase in performce since thoses are/can top out your current CPU.

cheburns

Ok maybe I'll just hold off a little and do a mobo processor upgrade together. I was just thinking I should get the best processor I can put on the mobo before they stop making compatible ones. But if that's not as good an idea as I thought (for any number of reasons) then I'll just wait. Thanks for the input guys.

Bodaggit23

am I going to have a problem running the system in my sig upgrading to an AMD Phenom 9950 processor?

also is there much more to upgrading a processor than taking the old one out and putting the new one in?

thanks

will I notice a big difference from my old processor? is it worth the 150 bucks?
As stated, you'd have to flash your BIOS for that chip to work, so it's a little more than just replacing the cpu, but flashing the BIOS should be pretty painless.

There may be a measurable increase in performance, but
probably not a noticeable increase.

bomberboysk

Ok maybe I'll just hold off a little and do a mobo processor upgrade together. I was just thinking I should get the best processor I can put on the mobo before they stop making compatible ones. But if that's not as good an idea as I thought (for any number of reasons) then I'll just wait. Thanks for the input guys.
Well, if you get something am3 like an 810, 945, 955 then you can take it with you to a new motherboard that is am3. If you went with something am2+, you could still take to a new mobo, but only an am2+ and not an am3 motherboard;)