New processor?

hyPoxxx.dll

Well...I have gotten PM's from people saying I need to get rid of the processor in my sig.

I think its fast, but... I might as well upgrade before I blow my money on other random junk.

I get 20 seconds in super pi...thats not bad, is it?

What do you guys reccomend?

Just nothing too expensive...

EDIT: I can switch to liquid cooling and push my CPU to 5.0ghz+...

Last edited:

zer0_c00l

Well...I have gotten PM's from people saying I need to get rid of the processor in my sig.

I think its fast, but... I might as well upgrade before I blow my money on other random junk.

I get 20 seconds in super pi...thats not bad, is it?

What do you guys reccomend?

Just nothing too expensive...

EDIT: I can switch to liquid cooling and push my CPU to 5.0ghz+...

20sec is good..whats the problem...? 4.8 stable wow your in the 4.0 club! :D j/k but sounds like a good cpu to me

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I bet it runs really hot though. Pentium D's are right behind the Pentium 4's for running extremely hot.

fade2green514

it depends.. what type of applications do you run? my e6300 scored around 20 seconds at 2.7ghz. if you get an e8400 you could hit 4ghz without breaking a sweat, i've seen them at 4.5ghz before without any overvoltage, that's rare though.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Why would you upgrade? Pentium Ds are still good CPUs, with that OC it'll last you a while. How much money do you have at your disposal? You can't really get anything "nothing too expensive" if you want something that will soundly beat your current CPU, and you probably wouldn't want to spend money unless you get some extra performance, you'll have to get an E8x00 and OC to around 3.6GHz at least if you want to see any performance increase.

cohen

Depends on how much your willing to spend on it.....

And i don't see why people are sending you PMs saying that your CPU is crap.

It's not really, i know a friend who is still on a Pentium D, it is not that bad.

Mustardsky

are you kidding me i will sell a kidney to get a comp like your my is really suckish and don't really have the budget to get a new one

Mitch?

banned
i'd stick with it, and just upgrade in the future (early 2009) when other cpus come out...
your PD at 4.8 will still compete with any current gen mainstream cpu

Computer_Freak

get the E8400 from frys.com
$140 really cheap!

but then you need a new motherboard aswell.

My advice, if your computer is serving you fine, then dont change anything.

Rather save money, and when the new Processors come out christmas time, get one of them.

They expect a increase in performance of at least 20% over one of the top Quads...

If you dont need it. Dont get it.

Wait for nehalem (brand new CPU technology, more pins, and just plain awesomeness) and wait for the Intel X58 motherboards (motherboard that supports Nehalem)

Its just 4 months at most...

Last edited: