New Ram Install...Now Won't Load?

tibbs

I bought a used Compaq SR5510F desktop.

They supposedly come with 2GB of ram but this one only had 1GB installed, so I decided to buy a 1GB stick to bump it back up. Upon installing the second stick today, the computer simply would not load past the beginning screen where it "checks memory" and what not and where you can access the system settings.

I tried the new stick only and the PC loads, with just the old stick the PC loads, so both sticks work, but not when they are installed together, no matter which way they are installed.

I bought the computer with no OS or driver discs so just got it all running, I'm guessing if everything else is fine and one stick works it's not a software issue?

Is there anything to change or check? I'm stumped here. Could the MB be bad? I've searched for issues with ram on these systems and did find a few posts about this same issue but never found anything to try or the final answer on what causes it.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Cliff Notes:

-Guy buys computer.
-Installs a 1GB stick of ram.
-Turns computer on.
-Computer won't load past the setup screen.
-Both sticks are apparently good.
-Scratches head and makes thread.

Oh yeah...just in case it matters here is the specs on the stick I bought:

General Description: (1) 240-Pin DIMM, PC2-6400 DDR2-800MHz non-ECC Unbuffered CL6
L" x W": 5 1/4 x 1 3/16-inch. The Key Slot offset 2 3/4-inch from edge
Label Specs: 1 GB 2RX8 PC6400U-666-12-E1 800 M20841607C.X2
Part Number: 404574-888
Speed: PC2-6400
Type: DDR2

....and here are the specs for the computer to compare the ram listed there to the new one.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...d=3733098&prodTypeId=12454&objectID=c01463074

The OEM ram stick reads: 1GB 2Rx8 PC2-6400UU-666-12-E3

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
HP and Compaq pc's can be very picky about what memory they use. It's always best to use the same brand and sticks of memory when adding more. You'll need to get another stick fo memory.