New Rich Text Document in Windows 7

Zeno

When in Explorer I can right-click to open a pop-up window that allows me to select NEW and then from the pop-up list I can choose Rich Text Document.

This all works just fine. But here's my question:

Can I modify this command (or add a new one) so that it actually opens a very specific Rich Text Document. One that I create as a Template?

This would be really helpful for me if possible.

If this can be done, can you please explain how I go about modifying this command?

Thank you.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Why don't you just create the RTF and place a shortcut for it on the desktop and then when you need it, just open it?

Zeno

I work in directories all the time. So I'm always in Explorer working in a particular directory. If I use the NEW command in the directory it creates the new file in the directory where I'm working.

If I do it the way you suggest I would need to leave Explorer, go to the desktop, open the new file, and then save it to the specific directory in which I'm working. And that means than I need to use Save As...., and go find the directory that I was working in.

To just click on New Text Document saves me a ton of navigating.

And I do this all the time, so saving all those extra clicks navigating through directories to get back where I'm working is paramount.

If I can just click on New Text Document, then I'm done. One click does it all.

The only problem I have right now is that when I do that I get a blank text document that I need to then reformat. If I could just open up my template this way I'd be home free.

This would save me a ton of mouse clicking and directory searching.

I do this all the time.

I've been putting up with having to reformat the new Text Document every time. But if I could load a specific template this way it would make things much easier.

Zeno

By the way, I just realized a way I can do this fairly easily. It's not quite as concise, but it's not bad.

I can just create a New Rich Text Document as normal, and when I open that I can then just open my template from a very easy directory to navigate to.

This is still more than just one click. But it's far better than what I have been doing.

If I could just use the NEW command to open the specific template that would reduce everything to just one click.

Well, I guess it's actually two clicks. But still that's better than four or more clicks.

The way I just figured out would be at least five clicks.

Opening the template directly would only be two clicks.

I do this all day long, so reducing this to two clicks would be fantastic.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Not really, how hard is it to click on show desktop icon in the taskbar and click on your file? Just saying. If you don't have the show desktop icon then its easily created.

Zeno

Not really, how hard is it to click on show desktop icon in the taskbar and click on your file? Just saying. If you don't have the show desktop icon then its easily created.

Yeah, but then I have to save it in the directory where I was working. And that requires that continually navigate back to the directory where I was working. I already there. Why should I have to navigate back to it again when I use the Save As, option?

That's what I don't want to have to do every single time.

That's precisely what I'm trying to avoid having to do.

Zeno

Actually creating a template and opening it doesn't work even if I use the New Rich Text Document. The reason being that when I open the template it automatically reverts to the directory where the template was stored. So I'm right back to having to use the "Save As" command and navigating back to the directory I was originally in.

I finally figured out that I can just leave the directory open that contains the template.rtf, and then just copy the template over into the directory I'm working in by dragging it over. Then I have a copy of the template in the directory I'm working. I can then just open it and when I edit it all I need to do is save it instead of using Save As and having to navigate back to the directory.

Still. It would be nicer if I could just use the New Rich Text Document feature to open the template directly and have it automatically be in the directory I'm working in.

For now, copying it over using drag and drop isn't too bad. That's beats having to navigate through directories using the Save As command in wordpad.

That's really what I'm trying to avoid having to do.

Dragging and dropping the template seems to be the best fix for now.