New rig build need advice!

CrazedAutomaton

New Member
So I'm putting together a new gaming rig and I wanted to run ideas by you guys and get some feedback on my hardware choices. I'm pulling some of my components out of my current comp now cuz I don't think I have to replace everything. But I could be wrong...

The parts I'm salvaging are as follows:

Processor: 2.4G Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
HD - 320GB
Sound Card: M-Audio 7.1 Revolution
PSU: I'm pretty sure its 600W
Mobo: ASUS P5B

(I forget what brand the HDD is or the PSU, and I'll probly just pop my case cover off at some point to find out.)


And the parts I need/want are:

Vid Card: I'm looking at the Radeon HD 5870, I know the 5970 is the absolute flagship but I *really* don't wanna shell out $600-800 just on the vid card

RAM: 4GB dual channel Kingston HyperX KHX6400D (the mobo can fit 8GB I think but I don't think I need it yet?)

Second (and primary) HDD - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
I'm planning on using the slower and smaller HDD I already have for like music and other media, the primary'll be for games.

Case - Antec 902

Monitor - Dell SP2309W


At this point I'm looking for feedback on these choices and I'm also wondering if I should be considering upgrading my mobo. I think the processor should be fine even though at 2.4G it'll bottleneck the vid card slightly, but I can OC that (another thing I need to learn how to do lol). I'm also wondering if I should go with a cpu cooler to be safe, I've been looking at the Zalman 9500 and 9700, leaning toward the 9500 for size/fit reasons. I wanna keep this build under $1000 if possible, monitor included.

Anyway, lemme know what you guys think!
 
Video card - wait until end of March/ early April till GeForce GTX 4 series out. I wonder if this will push ATI 5870 down.

I wonder if you consider selling your CPU, mobo and DDR2 RAM, then grab i5 750 + P55 + DDR3 RAM.

CPU - Zalman 9500 is $45. I think there are better choice other than that.
 
Thanks for the advice, I think selling the current comp sounds like a pretty good idea. The Q6600 is aging a little bit at this point and I don't really like the idea of shelling out almost a grand on brand new components but keeping a 4 year old processor and mobo that won't be able to benefit from DDR3 or USB 3. The i5 750 sounds like a great processor, especially at its current price and I was thinking about going with a Gigabyte mobo, all of their p55 mobos seem to be getting great reviews, more or less. I'm wondering if it's as silly as I think it is to shell out much more than, say, $150 on a mobo alone (I think their UD7 is up to like $260) so maybe the UD3?

plus, with the specs as I'm listing them for this build I'm wondering about my PSU wattage. I was looking at the Antec 750 (or whatever it's called), I think 750W should be fine?

It's probly gonna take me until sometime in April to complete this build, I don't really have the monies to do all this at once, so my vid card will be the last thing I buy to see if the ati cards drop more
 
Mobo - may be the cheap GA-P55-USB3??
PSU - Antec 750W should enough for 5870. I do think 550W for single card is enough.
 
Back
Top