New ryzen build worth the cost ?

jamesd1981

Hi all just looking for some opinions if my considered new build is worth the cost of the upgrade

My current system is in signature it`s ryzen 2700x, the only really outdated part of the system is the gtx 970

The system i`m considering is a ryzen 3700x with newer m.2 drives and either a gtx 1650 or 1660, the new system comes out at between 1,218 & 1,360 depending on changing other things like case, ram etc

Given the cost involved i am wondering if i would get just as much value by upgrading the graphics card alone ?

James

OmniDyne

The GTX 1660 is no longer in production and was superceded by the GTX 1660 Super. What resolution are you playing at? Do you have a monitor capable of above 60/ 75 FPS?

I own a GTX 970 and based on reviews I've seen, the only upgrade that would be cost effective and make a massive difference would be the GTX 2060 Super or the RX 5700/ XT. I personally don't feel as if the 1660 would be worth the upgrade, and the 1650 for sure would not be worth purchasing.

Maybe if you got a good deal on a used 1660 TI or 1660 Super? Even still, the difference in performance wouldn't be much.

jamesd1981

Thank you for the replies all

I do not game on pc except from emaulators like mame etc, my primary reason for wanting to upgrade is my gtx 970 does not support hevc, which is what most of my recording devices produce and i would rather not reduce to h.264

I will take your advice i do just the gpu first, however after browsing i see nvidia do an rtx range just above the price point of the gtx range, can anyone recommend the best value replacement for editing up to about £300 max

Thanks