New SATA drive..?

raoul_1101

Hello all!
I was having problems with a DVD Writer in one of my computers. I decided to replace this with a new SATA (was PATA) DVD burner. I tore out the old drive and threw in the new one. However, my problem is: When the new drive is fully connected, XP will not boot. The computer gets to the first black booting screen with the loading bar, it freezes (not literally, not a hard freeze). What happens is it keeps loading, and loading, and loading, with no result. The bar just keeps going :mad:. So, I checked the BIOS. It is detected. I thought maybe the motherboard/BIOS didn't support a drive so new and the computer is just having trouble with it. Does this sound like a legitimate cause? If the mobo only supports Sata 1.0, would a Sata 2.0 DVD drive cause problems?
Assuming all of this is correct, would I be right in assuming a PCI Sata controller could solve my problems (while restricting the speed of the drive, almost defeating the purpose :()

Thank you all in advance

Twist86

Yep its the little pins should have a little black piece of rubber over 2 pins.

You will find it on the same side as the power/connectors

raoul_1101

After a little research..

We are talking about setting jumpers on the drive that restrict it to SATA 1 speeds? I'll check to see if I have them (some drives apparently don't?).

konsole

pretty sure no sata drives have jumpers of any kind. If one component is sata 1 and other component is sata 2 then it will run at the slower sata 1. If you thought the problem before was with the drive and now your having problems with the new drive then maybe the problem is not with the drives in the first place?

raoul_1101

After all, it ended up be an incompatibility with the SATA ports on the board. I tested this with a PCI->SATA adapter and all seems to work perfect now (despite restricting my SATA drive to PCI speeds :( )

604action

good job lol
3f4366aeb9c157cf9a30c90693eafc55.jpg