New sound card--no POST

Klue22

I got a new sound card recently, an x-fi xtreme gamer. When replacing my current card in my system (sound blaster live-24 bit) with the new card, the computer will fail to POST, i have tried all PCI slots,
I am using an hp xw8000 workstation with:
2 gig ram
2 3 Ghz processors
320 gig HD
880 watt PSU
HIS 3850 AGP

awildgoose

hmm, did u install the drivers? sometimes you need to install those before it reconises.
Well, what do you mean by POST??

Klue22

it works in another comp,
POST is POWER ON SELF TEST
very low level, it's when the BIOS initializes all the hardware, it occurs before the operating system boots

Klue22

did you read my last post? I told you that it worked in my other computer, I have already RMA'd once.
anyone here know anything about hp workstations?

douche

What is the HP Workstation model? I know PIII and above Vectras have on-board (i.e. on the motherboard) sound. You most likely need to disable it in the BIOS first, and then install the sound card.

Klue22

again, please read my first post, I own an xw8000, the computer will not even get to the bios if the card is in, however the leds on my keyboard will still light up...
I will try to disable onboard sound though, in the meantime...
any more suggestions people?

Klue22

no, no it will still POST without the card in it, ill try that suggestion, thanks for going to the trouble to look that up for me =)

Klue22

ok, no dice on disabling the onboard sound, all settings on the MOBO are nominal, any other suggestions?
is it possible that my GPU is affecting sound card? because i was listening to the error beeps and one of the codes supposedly means that there is a problem with the GPU, keep in mind though that it still will POST without the sound card.