New SSD cloning/reinstall help

bcoffee20

Hi there i just got a new 80gb intel ssd and I was hoping to clone my C drive to it because i upgraded to windows 7 when i was in college with the upgrade disk and i dont really want to instal vista on the ssd and then upgrade it to windows 7. I also am not sure where my vista cd is so that is kinda a problem to.. I transferred almost all of my stuff except programs to my D drive so there is only about 30gb on the C drive but it says i am using 96gb of stuff. I know its alot of hidden stuff but how can i shrink it so i can clone onto the 80gb ssd? I'm guessing i cant borrow a windows 7 disk from a friend and use my upgrade key for a fresh install :confused: Any help would be greatly appreciated! my ssd is just sitting at home waiting to be used :( Poor little guy is bored as wants to go! :D Thank you

-Bradley

bcoffee20

Thanks, i did a fresh install but my key wouldnt work so i had to call microsoft and get a new one. NO biggie but i switched my mobo bios to ahci and now my two hdds (I disconnected during install) dont show up? anyone know why? is it because they were used with IDE and now it is switched?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you running the ssd in ide mode or ahci? Yes, thats why you can't see the 2 drives is because you switched modes. Are these other drives just data drives?