New SSD Drive Soon.

AlienMenace

Hello All;

I am going to be getting a new SSD drive for Christmas, and this is the one I will be getting. https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX500-500GB-NAND-Internal/dp/B0784SLQM6. In my tower now is a 128gb OCZ Vertex 4 SSD and I will be cloning myVertex to the Crucial. I also have 2 regular mechanical HD in the tower also, a 1TB and a 250gb.

Question: Would I need to pull the 1tb and the 250gb out so that the SSD won't have any problem cloning. I know, I should do a clean install. But I am lazy and don't want to sit there for weeks and put everything back on the way had it.

The reason that I am changing out the 128gb drive is, it has been in the computer going on 6 yrs come next Month. And it is still 89% healthy. And I have 70% taken upon it, leaving around 50% left free.

Thank you for any feedback.

Alienmenace (David)

AlienMenace

Hello Beers: That would be nice, but I don't want to break the bank with my nephew and his wife. I think 65.00 dollars is a little high for a Christmas present already. When she had to text me over my cell phone, I thought as a joke to say this 500gb. That is when she told me to send her the details. I wouldn't mind having the 1tb. But 500gb is fine for me right now considering I am coming from the 128gb.

OmniDyne

The 500GB MX500 was on sale for $48 a few days ago. It goes on sale often.

The 500GB 860 EVO was on sale for $54 5 days ago.

If you wait, you'll find a great deal as soon as tomorrow probably, and then definitely sometime this week.

AlienMenace

The 500GB MX500 was on sale for $48 a few days ago. It goes on sale often.

The 500GB 860 EVO was on sale for $54 5 days ago.

If you wait, you'll find a great deal as soon as tomorrow probably, and then definitely sometime this week.

If I was buying it, I would wait. But, I am not buying. I am on a set income, so it is hard for me to get things at a certain time. Since I can't afford to build a new machine, I just have to upgrade certain parts. And I am starting with a new SSD, next will be my case and CPU fans. But I still haven't the original question answered yet.

Question:
Would I need to pull the 1tb and the 250gb out so that the SSD won't have any problem cloning. I know, I should do a clean install. But I am lazy and don't want to sit there for weeks and put everything back on the way had it. These 2 drives are in my front (Hot Slot Bays).

Thank you for replying all.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You woudn't have to pull them out just disconnect either the power or data cables so they don't get recognized.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I love how you have a simple disk question and everyone is trying to redirect you on the brand :).

You shouldn't have to disconnect any drives when cloning as long as you have enough ports available in your tower case on the mobo. I don't know which cloning software your using but I have used Clonezilla in the past and, with Clonezilla when picking your source and destination of the drive it will list the manufacture, serial and size of the drive. So, if you have a 250GB, 1TB and a 500GB of all different brands then it will be pretty hard to get them confused.

As for the rebuild piece you keep saying "you know you should do". Can I ask why? If the computer is running fine and you are not changing any large pieces of hardware like CPU, mobo, GPU or even going from an HDD to an SSD then, I cannot see why you would need to rebuild.

OmniDyne

I love how you have a simple disk question and everyone is trying to redirect you on the brand

We recommended the same brand. It's about not substantially over paying for hardware.

What's that saying about the pot and the kettle?

AlienMenace

You wouldn't have to pull them out just disconnect either the power or data cables so they don't get recognized.
To tell the truth John, it is much easier pulling the drives out than disconnecting the power/SATA cables. This case is a Cooler Master HAF XM. Love the case. I wished they never stop making them.

AlienMenace

I love how you have a simple disk question and everyone is trying to redirect you on the brand.:)

You shouldn't have to disconnect any drives when cloning as long as you have enough ports available in your tower case on the mobo. I don't know which cloning software your using but I have used Clonezilla in the past and, with Clonezilla when picking your source and destination of the drive it will list the manufacturer, serial and size of the drive. So, if you have a 250GB, 1TB and a 500GB of all different brands then it will be pretty hard to get them confused.

As for the rebuilding piece you keep saying "you know you should do". Can I ask why? If the computer is running fine and you are not changing any large pieces of hardware like CPU, mobo, GPU or even going from an HDD to an SSD then, I cannot see why you would need to rebuild.

Well, it's kind of funny. My computer will be 6 yrs old come mid-January 2019. I said back then that I was building the computer for a 5 yrs stent. lol. So, okay. I will not pull the drives, 1tb is Seagate, 250gb is WD and 128 GB SSD is the Ocz Vertex 4. So, in the long run, just the drives and fans needs replacing. The Crucial comes with "Acronis True Image", but I also have "Macrium Reflect 7 Free". I want to Thank you all for the suggestions and feedback.

Last edited:

AlienMenace

Update:
Well, I have the new SSD installed and cloned. And it is working nice and fast. I took out my hard drives to make it easier for my mind to deal with. The Ocz benchmark was Seq. read 419.7 and the write was 356.1. And the Crucial MX500-500gb was read 1735.6, and write was 1738.1.

Thank you all again. I am a very happy camper now.

beers

Staff member
It just makes your benchmarks more representative of the cache than the actual drive. Old nerd people with no life will tell you that the drive can't exceed the SATA bus, but it's also windy old manness that doesn't matter to any significant degree.

Your OCZ sounds blazing at 420 MB/sec ;)

AlienMenace

It just makes your benchmarks more representative of the cache than the actual drive. Old nerd people with no life will tell you that the drive can't exceed the SATA bus, but it's also windy old manness that doesn't matter to any significant degree.

Your OCZ sounds blazing at 420 MB/sec ;)
I did a little more research on the Momentum Cache, and I understand it more. I should've done a test before I enabled it to see what the true read/writes were. :rolleyes:

AlienMenace

Hello All;
Well, I checked my budget for January. I found that I can afford another 500gb drive. So, I had my nephew. a different nephew this time order me another one last Friday and i will be paying him back next week, he has Amazon Prime. It came today. so, I installed it. I changed out my SATA cable since it has a locking catch on it and it wouldn't lock in the new SSD. Well, I had some troubles. The thing was driving me nuts for about a 1.5 hrs. Till I figure it was the new (old) cable change. Tried a different cable and everything worked fine after that. I threw the cable away. lol. Now I can retire my WD 250gb SATA 1 drive (lol, I actually thought it was a SATA 2), it is the oldest of the mechanical drive in the computer. So, sometime this summer. I will try and save some money to change out my 1tb mechanical for a 1tb SSD.