New SSD - want this as default storage

novicegeek

So, the SSD I had in my system was getting fuller, so I thought I would expand. I purchased a Samsung 860 EVO with 1 TB of storage (whoopee!). I told Windows 10 to begin saving my programs and pics to the new drive (through the settings), but it is not listening to me. What am I missing? Do I need to load some kind of Windows app on the new drive?

Thanks.

novicegeek

It does show up in "This PC; I labeled it K Drive, but there's no partition created. Do I need one? I don't remember creating one for the first SSD.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then you created a partition. Exactly how did you tell windows to start saving your stuff on the new drive? Can you post a screenshot?

novicegeek

I went to Settings, then Systems, then Storage, and then clicked on "Change Where New Content is Saved" near the bottom. It looks something like this.

1608419043660.png

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So what happens when you save a picture jpg file? Where does it get saved to? You might just want to change the storage location by going into your user folder and change the location for pictures, downloads, documents, etc. This is what I do anyway and really is the way you should do it.

For example, to move the location of your pictures folder, right click on pictures in your user folder and click on properties, then click on the location tab. Change the location from C to K and it will automatically move existing pictures from C to K in the pictures folder.

The problem when installing apps/games is that the default installation that the program offers is C drive but will usually give you the option to change install director before actually installing the app. The app isn't gonna know to check windows settings to check where to install the program.

novicegeek

Okay. thank you. I'll give it a try. I'll have to do it later, though. My wife is feeling sick, so I've been tending to her for the moment.

Thanks again.