New Super Laptop

Thechefxxxv

I want a good laptop that can go well with my PC (below). I dont really care about the price or how big it is, I just want to keep it close to or under 10 pounds. I dont need that big of a hard drive, 80 gigs and up is fine. I just want some portable power for LAN parties I dont have at my house. I want top-of-the-line proformance that has at least 2 hours of battery life (I will get another battery for long trips). I have headphones and mice for it. I just have to build up some ca$h so I can get it in about January.

j0hn00

No laptop is going to be close to the specs of your desktop. Having said that, if you want a high end gaming laptop, you should look into the Dell XPS series or a boutique builder such as Alienware or Sager.

4W4K3

VIP Member
j0hn00 said:
No laptop is going to be close to the specs of your desktop. Having said that, if you want a high end gaming laptop, you should look into the Dell XPS series or a boutique builder such as Alienware or Sager.

Says who? Many many many a' laptop are far superior to my computer, and can compete with the most powerful of computers people own here.

You can get laptops with A64 desktop processors in them, FX series and X2 dual core series. They include GB's of RAM, PCI-E graphics, all the extras like DVD-burners and that junk.

http://www.widowpc.com/2005/06/gaming_laptops.php

spamdos

alienware should give u a good laptop if your not worried about price you will be able to find one almost as good as your desktop

Thechefxxxv

7800 Gtx?

Shouldn't Nvidia's most powerful graphics card present some kind of heat issue? Thats why I thought laptop graphics had to be a couple notches behind the best available.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Thechefxxxv said:
Shouldn't Nvidia's most powerful graphics card present some kind of heat issue? Thats why I thought laptop graphics had to be a couple notches behind the best available.

No not exactly. They make "mobile" versions of their desktop cards (just like processors) that are alot smaller and cooler. You shouldn't have heat issues unless there is something else in the laptop that is overheating.

Thechefxxxv

Does anyone like the Apple Powerbooks? No, I am not going to get a second laptop (my wife is furious at me already). I heard they were pretty nice.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Thechefxxxv said:
Does anyone like the Apple Powerbooks? No, I am not going to get a second laptop (my wife is furious at me already). I heard they were pretty nice.

A few people I know have them and love them. I might ask for one for a graduation present if I don't find a PC laptop I can be happy with (extremely picky here)

Thechefxxxv

I love Macs. My dad has a powermac and a powerbook. I have to help him fix them a lot, but they are exellent! I cant believe how easier mac is compared to windows!

Thechefxxxv

I just e-mailed my friend and he said he'd bring his powerbook to our twice weekly lanparty tonight! I cant wait! Ill have to tell you about it! He says we can still play Warcraft 3 on it? I didnt know they made any mac-version games!

Thechefxxxv

Well, after the party I got to fiddle with the Powerbook. I didn't really get to see a lot in my state of almost-drunken paranoia, but It was nice. I love dashboard and spotlight!

X24

Um, please use the edit button, you've triple posted twice on the second page alone.

also, how's the size of the XPS M170? its similar to my I9300 i bet.

Thechefxxxv

I cant see my triple posts. Sorry, I am having internet problems:eek:.

the XPS M170 Is really nice, I just got uploading stuff on it. Took it to the office and everyone stared in awe (they don't know a thing about PCs). It weighs about 9.5 pounds and its pretty small.
XPS
Height: 42.4 mm (1.67")
Width: 394 mm (15.5")
Depth: 288 mm (11.3"
I9300
Height: 41.5 mm (1.6")
Width: 394 mm (15.5")
Depth: 287 mm (11.3")
The XPS is a little stronger than the 9300 in every way. The 9300 Is Multi-media based and the XPS is gaming based. The 9300 gets a wee bit more battery life, sacrificing power.

I am going to Cleveland, Ohio tomorrow (2 hours from my lovely home)
so we will see how it fares after 2 hours of gaming, powerpoint practice, and about everything else.

X24

i don't mean like the same thing posted 3 times, i ment like u posted 3 times in a row, where you could hit the edit button and combine all three of them there.

also, thats not bad since its got a pretty good jump in preformance over the I9300. also, you get used to the size......until you see other laptops.