new system

caine

I have decided to buy a new system, i have brought all the bits seperate and then its being built, but what i need to know is it i am going to need a new power supply.

i have ordered

a 2.7 ghz intel pentium 4 processor S478
S478 Intel 865G ATX A L motherboard
two sticks of 512MB 184Pin DDR memory
Connect3d ATI Radeon 9600Pro 256MB DDR + DVI + TV AGP

i already have a 40gb hard drive and i currently have a 350watt power supply, am i going to need a bigger power supply to be able to run the computer properly, and if so how much more power. Also the computer is to be used for gaming :)

thanks in advance

caine

caine

all i know is that its a 350watt and it have the extra 4 pin connector for pentium 4 processors, it does not have a name on the label, just the 350watt sign

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Not enough information to pinpoint the PSU down to the model number. In anyways, have a look at PSU 101 and you can make your own informed decision. :)

caine

its ok, i brought the same powersupply as my mate and he has just written the numbers down for me

it is a switching power supply and the model number is ATX 350W

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
There should be a sticker like this ...
17-153-021-03.JPG

What does your say? :)

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
some psu's (specially really bad ones) don't have stickers like that, or it just says atx powersupply, like the one I just threw away cause it was complete junk. If it doesn't have a brand, I wouldn't trust it.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
some psu's (specially really bad ones) don't have stickers like that,
Yeah i know (and its also thus not certified by UL without the sticker) ... really ... unless you took the sticker off yourself (and know what it is) you should prolly not use the PSU