New Thermaltake Volc. 12 Not Cooling Like Expected!!!!

jbronco74

I just put a new thermaltake volcano 12 on my AMD 3000 xp, on an Asus A7N8X-E board...with 512mb of pc3200....before with side cover off and floor fan blowing directly in....with HSF from old AMD 1800 xp...it was around 108 F on the cpu and 75 f on board... now, not to mention, I have a new case from Asyspro....it runs 116 f and 89....that upsets me...I have a fan in the window a 5" in the back and another blowing on the board...I will try to move fans around and see what happens...
ps..the fan controller is on high

4W4K3

VIP Member
how much thermal paste you put on there? whats the RPM of the fan when its on high (speedfan will tell you or something like it)...the fan could be defective or something. is the HS seated correctly? try reseating CPU an HS...it could just be off a bit. also check the bottom of the HS..it could be in need of a lap job...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
That is a tad higher than i'd expect (46°) .. did you clean off the thermalpaste from originally on there?

jbronco74

So..is 46 celsius acceptable???

I don't have an air conditioned home...if that makes a diff....
I tried re-seating the processor/heatsink..and when I pulled the hsf off there was no paste on the cpu...shouldn't there be some, or at least a film? Well, I put some more on and now I am down to a steady 45 celsius/113 f...which is 5 degrees cooler than before and mobo temp is down to 82 f...but my fan is at 6650 rpm's and very loud!!! Should I be happy here??

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have an air conditioned home...if that makes a diff....
It does, proly makes a 10º difference

I tried re-seating the processor/heatsink..and when I pulled the hsf off there was no paste on the cpu...shouldn't there be some, or at least a film?
Yes there should be some

Well, I put some more on and now I am down to a steady 45 celsius/113 f...which is 5 degrees cooler than before and mobo temp is down to 82 f...but my fan is at 6650 rpm's and very loud!!! Should I be happy here??
Is the CPU overclocked or is it stock 3000?

jbronco74

It is a stock 3000 XP with 400 FSB..........

what is your temp readings in your set up????
OK, just moved some fans around, took advantage of the vents in the top of my case....to exhaust....now after 15 minutes my cpu temp is steady at 44 c ...and case temp at 24 c...WOW!!!!! what a drop in case temp....also, have slowly decreased cpu fan rpm(speed) with no rise in temp...

-Do you think some Arctic silver would help?????
-What about mounting hardware for my fans??

Last edited:

Nephilim

VIP Member
Hi,

How do you have your fans set up as far as which ones are blowing in and which are blowing out?

jbronco74

they are as follows

One 80mm on side cover pulling in, one 80mm on top exhausting, a 120mm sitting upright on bottom blowing air across the video card towards the back since I don't have enough room at the front of the case for it. And, there is an 80mm at the rear blowing out.

jbronco74

I was only messing with ya praetor, sorry.....

Well, the screws I got with the fans aren't long enough to mount them with, and a lot of them don't fit the holes. Just wondering if there is some kind of special hardware packages people are buying.

Man, I don't see how you are getting those 20C temps at idle....mine runs at a consistent 44C with a case temp of 25-28C...and again, I don't have A/C though....is there anything else i can do???

Just ordered some Arctic Silver.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I was only messing with ya praetor, sorry.....
LOL no worries :p

As for my temps.... 20C idling is not that hard if you run your computer in -20 weather (i did say depending on ambient temp) ... i have a way of not closing doors and windows in the winter .... cold is good :) (right Neph? :p)

You're temps should be ok, have a run through with some Artic Silver but remember not to overdo it :)