New to computers, and don't know what to do.

HopeCorgi

Hello guys! I'm new to the building of computers, what I've decided on was a 2500$ budget but even after I tried to choose the parts, I'm afraid that it will fail.

Case : Cooler Master Stryker

CPU : Intel Core i7-4790K (I'm afraid this will bottle neck my graphics card, so do I need to upgrade?

Motherboard : Z87-Expert

GPU/Video card : GeForce GTX 780 Ti (I don't want such a high end video card to bottle neck, so I'm really afraid about how my CPU will work with my video card.)

Power Supply : TP-650 C (Antec)

Optical Drive : DRW-24F1ST

Storage/SSD : Crucial MX100

Memory : Mushkin Enhanced Blackline RADIOACTIVE 8GB (I don't know if its compatible ;(

CPU Cooling : I want to use water cooling but I don't know if its worth it.

But if you guys could tell me if everything works out good, and wether or not to use water cooling, that would be great. I also would hope that if you could find any bottlenecks you could tell me how to solve them :) First time so don't expect anything great xD Also, is my performance going to be good? because I think I'm going to run pretty demanding games. I don't have a budget for water-cooling, but I would like a maximum of 400 dollars.

beers

Staff member
Seems okay, although I'd get a Z97 board. Some of the older Z87 boards won't POST without a BIOS update when using a Devil's Canyon CPU such as the 4790k. Also, you would potentially get additional features such as M.2 or SATA Express.

You are a funny guy for worrying about GPU bottlenecking on the newest i7, though. ;)

Which specific RAM kit is that?

HopeCorgi

Sorry, I'm a noob, whats a Devil's Canyon CPU? I will use a Z97 though ;) Could I have a recommendation of which Z97 though? The Z97 Deluxe, the Sabertooth Z97 (Mark 1 or 2), Z97 A, or the Z97-AR.

I presume it won't bottle neck though (I hope).

The kit or product is Quote newegg - Mushkin Enhanced Blackline RADIOACTIVE 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2666 (PC3 21300) Desktop Memory Model 997127Y

speedx77x

Make sure to get an aftermarket 780 Ti made by EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, etc.

In agreement with beers it would be better to get a z97 board, espically if you'll be overclocking.

Get a Samsung EVO SSD

I'd reccomend getting a 750 or 850W power supply

Get a 1TB HDD
----------------
Devil's Cayon is a refreshed line of haswell CPU's, they just came out recently on June 25th.

Last edited:

HopeCorgi

I think I'm going for an EVGA or ASUS aftermarket GeForce 780 Ti.

I will be over clocking but I would like to know which of the motherboards I need to use :p

Are you sure I should get a Samsung EVO SSD? It seems quite expensive :( But if I'm going to get one, for hard core gaming, do you think 500 GB should good? Its within my price range :D

The power supply I think I should get is, CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3. It's crossfire ready (which I will upgrade later :D)

And heres the part where I will get SUPER confused. An HHD is an optical drive? Could you give me some options for that as well? :(

I'm sorry I'm such a noob ;'(

speedx77x

Mobo: Sabertooth should be good for overclocking.

SSD and HDD: A HDD is a hard disk drive or a hard drive, they are used for storage just like SSD's. Typically what most people do is use a SSD for their OS and a few applications and then a HDD for the rest of the their games and other stuff. Since your budget is pretty big you can either get a 500GB or 250GB SSD. For your HDD I reccomend at least a 1TB drive. One of the best 1TB HDD out right now is the Western Digital 1TB Hard Drive.

PSU: 850W is the minimum for 780 Ti SLI. And for AMD cards it's crossfire for Nvidia it's SLI, same thing just different names.

Also use this site, it might make things a bit easier: http://pcpartpicker.com/

Last edited:

HopeCorgi

Dude you are so so awesome, but just for what the build is going to be I'm going to reiterate this, if you see any flaws just tell me :3

Case : Cooler Master Stryker

CPU : Intel Core i7-4790K overclocked

Motherboard : Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2

GPU : GeForce GTX 780 Ti overclocked

Power Supply : Raidmax RX-1000AE 1000W ATX12V v2.3

Optical Drive : DRW-24F1ST

SSD : Samsung EVO SSD 500

HDD : Western Digital 1TB Hard Drive.

Memory : Mushkin Enhanced Blackline RADIOACTIVE 8GB

Cooling : Hopefully water

So I think thats good so far, I don't know about water, but everything checks out for me.

HopeCorgi

Is 1000 watts good or do I need more?

Oh and if I'm going to over clock everything to the maximum I can get it, would you recommend water cooling? I can budget that without salvaging any parts so money isn't a problem.