new to computers

derek mitchell

Hey! I'm really new to computers and was just wondering what i need to simply surf the net, and burn cds. I just got a computer from a friend and that's really all i want to use it for. it's got 128mb sdram,intel celeron 668 Mhz. will this be sufficient? Or do I need to upgrade the ram? My bro has an amd duron pocessor 1.00ghz 384mb ram. This works allright but sometimes crashes. Can i make my computer better than his?

LITHIUM

wow 668MHZ???? wow you are way behind dude. 2-3 GHZ is the norm now. and you need at least 512 to have efficient load times

Filip

LITHIUM said:
wow 668MHZ???? wow you are way behind dude. 2-3 GHZ is the norm now. and you need at least 512 to have efficient load times

what i need to simply surf the net, and burn cds.

EDIT:

How much money are you willing to spend?

ZER0X

VIP Member
LITHIUM said:

This statement is true, but 668mhz and 128mb ram is more then enough to search the net, and burn cd's and dvds if need be.

nakedape

I would upgrade the ram to 256, but that's just me. Other than that, like zerox said, for what you want it should be fine.

mrgeorgedude

ya i just upgraded from a lousy 233mhz processor and it handled the net fine enough...id get more ram like that naked ape (lol) guy said

B-MAN

Hmm if you install linux you don't need to upgrade i think.. but linux is not for beginners. Even distributions like ubuntu and such.

I suggest win2k instead of xp but 2k can be more difficult then xp.

XP wil run... but kinda slow. You'll have to turn off some grafical effects to make it more responsive. But if you install a burning program office and firefox (or use IE) and nothing more the pc will run fine. I have an old laptop (233mHz 64MB ram) with xp... it's UBER slow.. but it works for office and internet.

But if your going to upgrade the RAM is indeed the first thing to look at. Atleast 256 MB.

Rambo

derek mitchell said:
Will i be able to install the new ram myself??

Yes... Just a case of slotting a chip into the motherboard... You just need to find out what RAM your motherboard supports, how much RAM it can take, and buy that type ;)

Use a program called CPUz to find out how many slots you have, and what kind of RAM it is currently using.