New to me desktop dead within hours - Looking for input

Connor.S

Cliff notes at bottom for those not wanting to read*

I got a used HP xw4400 Workstation desktop system from a buddy today to replace my old home built one. The HP just needed a new power supply which I had laying around. After installing the PSU it booted up like normal with no problems. I popped in a Windows install cd and went through all that. After the install it booted up great with no problems still. Installed all the needed drivers with no issues. Everything up and running like new.

I leave the comp for ten minutes and return to a shutdown system with a smell of something burning. Pull the system out, open it up, and after looking through it decide it was the PSU that caused the problem; it was quite warm and smelled of hot electrical parts. I just assumed the PSU had burned out, shorting out the system. I pop in a different PSU and try to start it up..fans spin for a second then stop and I receive 4 short beeps along with 4 red light flashes. After doing some research I came up with two possible answers for the beeps and lights, 1) power failure or 2) Flashing failed (checksum error, corrupted image, etc.) .

I've tested multiple PSU's all returning the same thing.

I've unplugged all devices and what not to test them; same thing.

I plugged the first PSU I used (one that smelled of burning) into the wall giving it only power; no comp connections to it. Its green light came on and the fan was running fine. I started to think maybe it didn't burn out so I tried it in the system again; when connected to the motherboard the green light stays OFF and fan does NOT spin; same beeps and problem.

And now I'm to the point where I think the motherboard has died.

Does anyone have any advice or input on what to do now? Or can anyone assume as well that the motherboard is toast and should be replaced?

Sorry for the novel, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Cliff notes..
Upon trying to boot up I receive 4 beeps and 4 light flashes, no fans spinning, no drives up and running, basically powerless. PSU seems to be working fine when connected to power with NO pc connections to it. Thinking the motherboard is toast.

Connor.S

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

I'll check out that link here in a bit and look for other possibilities.

And yes I checked the motherboard. I pulled it completely out and examined every bit of it...didn't seem to find any burn marks or cracked / burned caps and what not.

Connor.S

Great write up vistakid. I gave it a pretty thorough skim through and have already tried or thought about most everything you mentioned..

spirit

Staff member
Great write up vistakid. I gave it a pretty thorough skim through and have already tried or thought about most everything you mentioned..
Thanks. :)

Anyone else have any input or opinions to throw out?
If you've tried everything in that guide and it's still refusing to POST, I'm going to say the motherboard likely got destroyed by the PSU failure. :(

Connor.S

Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking.

Although the green light on the motherboard will still light on when connected to a PSU, it can still be fried, correct?